Friday, September 18, 2020


 On Friday in the past we have done a "Friday Food Debate" where we tackle some burning questions of the culinary world, ha. We have expanded it now to other fun and different regional uses of words.

This week, the burning question is:

Besides the fact that they are so good, we love a great stack of PANCAKES.  That's what we call them down here in the South.  In the West apparently the more common term is FLAPJACKS.  In the North and other pockets of the country, they can be called HOTCAKES.

I'm not sure, even though I grew up in various parts of the country, that I've not ever used anything but pancakes.  We do have a friend though that says flapjacks and she grew up in California.  Not sure we've ever known anyone who uses the term hotcakes.  According to some research I did there are other terms that have fallen out of favor over the years:

Flippers, slapjacks, flopjacks, flappers, slapjacks, flapcakes etc.  Fascinating!

So, what do you call them?
Pancakes?  Flapjacks?  Hotcakes?


  1. Normally just pancakes Unless they are small then they are Silver Dollars,
    A friend that we knew in Iowa worked in a small town restaurant always called them hubcaps. I can still hear him saying; 'small order of hubcaps coming up'.

  2. pancakes! with REAL maple syrup and REAL butter!

  3. Pancakes in PA, lots of butter and syrup. And sometimes for supper, not just for breakfast.

  4. Pancakes in Indiana. So YUMMY!!!

  5. Flapjacks for us here in Oregon, though hubby and I grew up in Southern California. Janie V

  6. Pancakes here. OK, now you've made me hungry for some pancakes!!

  7. Good thing pancakes make a good supper! Y'all made me hungry :D

  8. Those are definitely not pancakes in my part of the world. Pancakes are plate sized and thin and rolled up with lemon juice and sugar.
    Flapjacks are oat and syrup based rectangular bars about an inch deep.
    I have never heard of hotcakes, the only hotcakes I know are cakes straight out of the oven.
    If they are made with yeast (but not always) then these look like pikelets, a sort of thinner crumpet. The nearest thing to a crumpet in America is called an English muffin. Although English muffins can be split, in the UK crumpets never are.
    So now we are all thoroughly confused!
    Lee in Manchester in the UK.

  9. So I wonder where hoecakes fits in, Then there is the johnnycake, LOL

  10. So I wonder where hoecakes fits in, Then there is the johnnycake, LOL


Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!