OK...this whole bucket gardening thing is pretty cool. With Fall coming sooner rather than later, we wanted to figure out a way to make this all a bit easier, instead of just random buckets sitting around.
Enter this:
...they look like this! Pretty cool, huh?
Could I build our own from scratch? Probably.
Can I get to my tools yet? No.
Do I know if I even have the right tools? Not really.
So, in the end, we figured it was easier and of course much quicker to get this and just make it happen now, so we had it before the Fall season arrived.
It was a lot of pieces that's for sure. Plus, I had to put it together outside, so I didn't have to try to fit it through the door. There were no screws, it was all dovetail type connectors so no tools required.
It took about 45 minutes or so but after I was done, we ended up with this:
As they say in real estate, "location, location, location" and rather than just put it out in the middle of the yard somewhere, we have found the right spot for it. It needed to be close to water and close to us for just stepping outside and taking care of things, so we put it alongside the well shed wall.
This keeps the garden plants free of weeds, safe from rabbits, and it makes everything at a nice height.
We're thinking there might just be a second one coming soon and we might move them to the garage wall, but we need to see how much sunlight that area gets during the day.
That would mean twelve buckets...
My mind races at the possibilities for Fall gardening adventures!

That is so neat for the buckets. it sure looks organized.
ReplyDeleteThat looks beautiful! I love it. It organizes the buckets into an aesthetically pleasing area. It’s at an easy to care for height. And it's close enough to pop out to quickly harvest something for a meal.
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty cool. You can grow quite a bit in that small of an area with the buckets, and it looks nice.
ReplyDeleteThat's petty nice. You won't kill your grass and the bucket get's good drainage.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea! I might need to copy you . Anne in the kitchen
ReplyDeleteAn excellent way to have raised bed gardening! Certainly saves the old back and knees!
ReplyDelete2 thumbs up. You may have to start collecting more buckets for the future.
ReplyDeleteAs the temperatures get hotter, you may need to think about providing some sort of shade for your bucket garden. I do like the set-up but on the downside, the heat will dry out the soil quicker; watering more often and keep an eye on your buckets as they will become brittle over time.
Now if you want to start collecting more buckets, check with your local bakeries; donut shops, etc. I'm sure they will be more than happy to Give you their empties. I myself have gotten a few buckets from donut shops. I hate to see the landfill filled up with empty buckets when they can be used by others. Also, check with local restaurants to see if they would be willing in giving you their empty buckets. Never hurts to ask
Cheap is nice; but Free is better.
Enjoy the rest of the week. Have a wonderful day
Will the deer thank you for bringing their meals up to "table" height so they don't have to bend down and eat off the ground?
ReplyDeleteThat does sound like a splendid idea. We have a Mini Farm in the City but we do have critters that would find a way up into the Buckets... they find their way into elevated Pots we currently have. My Dream would be to have a Big Greenhouse erected on the Back Acreage to house plants, but then I think... how would things be Pollinated... I guess opening Windows of it somewhat might attract the Bees and other Pollinators to do their thing? A Conservatory would even be nicer... I Dream Big when I Dream, as you can tell. *Winks*
ReplyDelete