Monday, June 14, 2021

HOT MOWING AND AN EYE ON THE GULF

It was a hot weekend (see yesterday's post).

2nd Man was experiencing some post vaccine fatigue so I headed out Saturday morning by myself to the farm.


At 2:00pm it was a feels like of 103.  It only got worse.  Yesterday we were close to 110 degree heat index.

The first thing I did was start mowing.  It was a long haul.  There was a lot of starting and stopping for breaks.  The stats below... 


...are not entirely accurate.  It was almost two hours on the mower but was two hours for sure because I forgot to turn on the app for about 10 minutes after I started. The whole process, because of having to stop and get off to unclog something or take a break for some water, was probably closer to about three hours.


This is the driveway...about midway through it.  That area on the side is the low spot and it was dry but slightly muddy.  Probably not enough to get stuck but enough to make me think twice about trying.  I did get a bit closer but not all the way to the fence line.


Here is where we park, last weekend it was underwater, this weekend nice and dry.  But the area of longer grass you can see, I usually mow that but it was also a bit too muddy for comfort, ha.

I did some other things but it just go so hot that I couldn't do much more.  I called it a day about 4:30.


AND NOW...for the not so fun part of living in hurricane country...we have to keep our eye on the Gulf as a tropical depression has formed and the general path is in this direction.  It could come straight this way or it could move more toward Louisiana which of course would put us on the "clean side".

Either way, we need to keep an eye on it because the arrival would be...the weekend.  Sigh.



8 comments:

  1. I am so glad I live where I do in S. Colorado and away from the really crap weather! However, we could really use some rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 hours on the mower is a long time! we finally got some downpours but living on a mountain makes rain like that pretty much just run off. we need steady slow rains to do what needs to be done up here. but hey, i'll take what i can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the storm will spin itself out and cause little to no damage or flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need one of those little portable air conditioners on your tractor, which you would have to magically be able to plug in. A little refrigerator with your favorite drinks would help, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you had a marathon mowing! I’m glad you took some breaks – the heat and humidity just drains a person.
    We got a little rain today, about .2. It was just enough to water the pot plants and give the garden a drink. Afterwards, it was cool enough to pull some weeds and pick the garden. I got a good pick of cucumbers, so I’m going to make some Bread & Butter pickles tomorrow.
    I watched the Houston weather forecast this evening and that tropical disturbance definitely bears watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep Cool & Stay Safe

    “The Bermuda Triangle got tired of warm weather. It moved to Alaska. Now, Santa Claus is missing.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Lawn Ranger' rides (mows) again. Looks nice considering all the water that you had at the farm.

      Delete
  7. It's that time of year again. Praying all of us in the paths of hurricanes stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!