Several of you mentioned herbs and yes, we already have some. They are next to impossible to find in the Summer but we got lucky a few weeks back and found a few. We snatched them up.
I bought five: dill, thyme, oregano and two basil plants. I got to use our utility sink in the garage for watering once I had potted them. It worked great!
We put them on the ledge in the screened in porch and they are happy. It's been a few weeks now and we regularly go onto the porch and clip herbs. Especially the basil. That stuff is so prolific! 2nd Man has used oregano in our sauces and fresh thyme on our chicken.
Since our porch is screened in but still gets nice light, we might see if we can grow them, at least in small amounts like this, during the Fall and Winter (moving them IN the house during a freeze of course).
I'm going to move them to a cart that we have that we posted about in one of our trash to treasure posts a few years back. It's still in the barn storage from the old house, it's just SO hot right now to get in there and get stuff out. But slowly we are.
Anyway, we have them and we can truly say, nothing beats having fresh herbs on hand.
Thyme can over winter outdoors in the ground or in a large pot. I moved mine into the garage during the polar episode last winter. Oregano is also a perennial. It will die back and look dead. It does come back when spring arrives. Basil is an annual.
ReplyDeleteI live in zone 7, central NC. I do grow a lot of dill It reseeds itself. Yellow swallowtail butterflys will lay eggs on the dill and the caterpillars munch it. Herbs come in handy year round. I love lavender, but don't have much success with it.
MinNC
I have had pretty decent luck overwintering herbs by just pulling them in the house when a. frost is expected. The downside is some might bolt and go to seed. It happens with the dill and parsley family, but others as long as I keep them pinched back work pretty well.
ReplyDelete