Thursday, January 17, 2019

TWO LEVEL RAISED BED INSPIRATION THURSDAY

Every Thursday we like to post a picture of something we've found online that inspires us to do something similar at the farm. Sort of our own blog bulletin board so that we can eventually look back and someday, hopefully anyway, recreate it...enjoy!


This is something I found while looking at pictures of flower bed ideas.  When I saw this it struck me...I could do this to our garden beds.  I could easily add a second tier to a couple of raised beds to create a different planting depth.  Another plus is that visually it looks nice too!  

I could just build another "half size" box and sit it on top of the existing bed.  Then just add soil to even out the lower tier and fill the higher tier up to its top.  I'm not sure if there are veggies that might benefit from a deeper soil, or maybe something like strawberries up and herbs down?  Onions up and garlic down?  Carrots and beets up and salad greens down?  Maybe it would just be for the aesthetics?    Whatever the reason, we like it.  

Be inspired!

6 comments:

  1. Them are really pretty and would you believe that I had something very much like this on my 'to do' list for hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how adding a simple tier can make the boxes so much more appealing. I might try that in front of my Art Barn. Thanks for the idea.
    I'll be posting it in my garden file in Pinterest.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that too. I'd probably fill it with herbs. One day I'd like to make a medicinal herb garden for teas and tinctures. Seeing those flowers makes me long for spring!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never thought of doing that! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I love that idea too. I think it would be a neat way to grow flowers up and then edibles on the lower level (or vice versa I suppose, ha). You could do it that way for some color and something to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so pretty. The extra tier really makes it eye-catching. It would make 2nd Man a nice kitchen garden of herbs and different colored lettuce, maybe a few edible flowers. In the garden, the top tier could be for root vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. For some pretty color, you could plant some marigolds and other beneficial flowers in with the vegetables.

    Wasn’t it a nice day today – mostly sunny and in the 70’s. I spent all afternoon outside puttering in my garden, just soaking it up, listening to the birds sing and the bees buzzing in my just-starting-to-bloom viburnum.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!