Wednesday, August 19, 2026

PUTTING UP BBQ PORK RIBS

Last month, we posted about our usual tradition of BBQ ribs for our 4th of July.  We used the extra rack to chop up the meat and used it in a meal the next day.  It was so good, we thought, "let's do this again and put it up for later!"


They were on sale ($1.24/lb) again so I bought two more and seasoned them and cooked them as we always do.  Then I let it cool.


The fun part was sliding out the bones.  Since it's "fall off the bone tender", sure enough, you just grab one and pull it out.  After doing that multiple times, I put the now boneless rib meat onto the cutting board...


I sliced it one direction...


...and then the other direction.  I put on some gloves and tore it up into smaller pieces.  Lastly, I divided it all  into equal portions and...


...vacuum sealed it all up!  We ended up with three bags of a little over 2 cups each.  Enough in the freezer for a stir fry or a casserole or some pulled pork sandwiches!


5 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike; well almost anyway. When I prepare 2 racks at once, I leave 1 plain and the other covered in my own bbq sauce.
    The one without the sauce I seal for later usage, which has been divided into 3 sections.
    Enjoy your day and have a great evening.
    Reached up to 106 deg. yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great money saving idea! The cost of food continues to rise so canning and freezing fresh food will definitely help this winter or whenever.. I recently saw a hint to shred, squeeze and freeze zucchini and/or summer squash in 2 cup bundles in freezer paper and then in freezer bags (thanks Maryann Esposito). I have home grown tomatoes going into the freezer as they come in for sauce to be made later. When thawed, the skins slide right off. Now I need to keep an eye out for ribs on sale. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good, I had pulled pork this week. My son came by and took all the leftovers home. I knew he wanted it, so I was happy to give it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent idea! A delicious meal from the first round of ribs, then three more delicious future meals in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!