Thursday, June 9, 2022

SNAKE TIMES TWO

Apparently it was snake-fest last weekend.

Now this first one is a bit different...

...there WAS a snake here.

These are the side steps on the front porch.  When I got to the farm I went up the front steps, up and and down a few times unloading stuff etc.  Then I got on the mower and when I went around the corner of the house, there was a snake, right here on this bottom step, probably warming in the sun.  I never even saw it while I was on the porch.  I grabbed my phone to take a picture and it slithered off the step and under the porch.  It was a solid reddish brown snake, not sure what kind it was but at this point it was the best kind, gone.  

Then I was mowing and I was on a back trail.  It's a narrow trail that is just the width of the mower.  I ducked under some tree limbs and my hat and headphones came off.  I stopped to get them and as I stepped off the mower and looked ahead of me...


...see it there?

Stretching the length from one side of the trail to the other?


Here's a close up.

If you click to enlarge you can even see its head...looking at me.  It appears to be what we call in these parts a "rat snake", a non-venomous snake common here...at least that's what we hope it was.

I was not going to continue forward for obvious reasons, not only would it not be fair to the snake but it could have lunged at me as I got closer to it with the strong vibration of the mower.

So I backed up, which is not easy on a narrow trail, and got out of its way to finish mowing elsewhere.  We'll leave them alone if they leave us alone.


Maybe we need this sign...

4 comments:

  1. OMG! No thank you. (it's actually a snake and Not a tree branch this time) :-)

    Venomous or non venomous snakes you must still be cautious, especially mowing around and under low tree branches. Never know when a snake may be on a tree branch and you wouldn't even see it. ( George, George, George of the jungle; Watch Out For them Snakes.)
    I had read or heard on the news to watch out for snakes; especially copperheads cause they are out and about. (Mating season)
    For around the house, porch and step area, you might think about getting some Ortho Snake-B-Gon Snake Repellent Granules. Don't know if anything like pepper spray would help if you carried it with you while mowing.

    Final words; Do be Careful; and walking around in the yard, be good idea to wear your heavy duty rubber boots.
    Have a Wonderful day and a nice relaxing evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can skip your next stress test at the doctor’s office - your heart survived 2 of them!
    That brushy area is indeed perfect snake habitat. It would probably be a good idea to take a walking stick with you whenever you take a walk in these brushy areas and knock it against the bushes every few steps.
    I think you’re right about it being a rat snake. This description seems to fit your picture: “Black rat snakes have shiny black scales on their backs, a lighter underside and white throats and chins. Adult rat snakes grow from 3 1/2 feet to 7 feet long…. Black rat snakes are extremely beneficial since they eat large amounts of rats, mice, and other pest animals. Farmers appreciate having snakes around for this reason.” Another interesting fact: “Instead of rearing up and trying to fight off a much larger predator, rat snakes will produce a foul-smelling musk.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. By giving you a side-eye, he warned you off. You are wise to retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never drive with my windows down because of a snake incident. One day I was driving home in Laurel, Maryland, and the car in front of me drove over a snake, which flew up in the air and flopped around. If the driver's window had been down, it probably would have landed in the car.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!