Here is a post I've been waiting to share to see how they worked. Several of you emailed or commented in the past to see how we covered them.
First up, this is what became of the raised bed covers that we had on the unused raised beds.
They just didn't work out (at least in the way we had them). It was too hard to keep them down but I'm afraid even with them down via some sort of clip or screw, or even if we created some sort of frame for them, they would have acted as a greenhouse and just grown weeds.
So here was my solution.
I did this late this last Spring and wanted to see how they would hold up all Summer. I took the weedblock fabric that I put down all over the garden ground and cut some to fit each raised bed. It helped that we bought the 4' wide fabric since the beds are 4x4 or 4x8.
|Covering a raised bed|
Then I just stapled it down on all four sides...a nice tight fit!
The ones we are actually planting in, I left open of course. Even tightly down, they still "breathe". They also let moisture pass through so it won't dry out the soil but the lack of light won't let plants (or weeds) grow beneath them and that's most important.
|Garden out of control|
Believe it or not, this is an actual photo from about this time last year...there are the same raised beds in there...somewhere...that are in the photos below.
For those that have been following the blog, you'll remember what it took to get this all cleaned up. It was NOT easy. But that's in the past now.
|Raised bed covers|
Here it is this Summer. That "before" photo from last year was taken standing just to the side of the gate at the top of this "after" photo. This was taken a few months after I put them on (and a few thunderstorms later) and they look like the day I put them on. Perhaps not the most attractive solution but hey, it works and we're happy with that.
Best of all: No. More. Weeds.