Sunday, July 15, 2018

MAILBOX CRASH, HEAT, VEGGIES AND RAIN WEEKEND UPDATE

It was a busy weekend and hotter than Hell.  Ugh.  


First up was this project.  We got a message from 2nd Family the other night.  To quote "J", some inebriated BillyBob crashed into the ditch, took out both of the mailboxes, posts and all, and then was somehow able to drive off!

So "R" is building some new posts and all we had to do was get the mailbox and make it ready. So after mowing, I sat on the porch and got the numbers put on both sides of the box.  Next weekend we'll get to see the end result.  Now we just have to hope they stay up for a few years without a drunk driver taking them out again.


This was our harvest for the weekend (I knew cukes would start coming in!) and so we decided to give all these to 2nd Family as a thank you so they could enjoy the results as well.  "J" said cucumber salad was on the menu.  Not sure I've ever had cucumber salad but I'll see if I can find out how she does it.  


The day started out clear (and hot).  I mowed AND edged.  I realized it takes almost as long to edge everything as it does to mow.  The mowing was about an hour and a half (this time) and the edging was an hour and fifteen minutes, stopping of course to refuel and put on new string for the trimmer.

I have to edge around the perimeter of the house.  Then then the garden fence.  Then the citrus trees. Then the flowerbeds.  Then the 8 raised beds of the fruit trees.  And lastly the barn and the shed.  Then I put the trimmer up in the shed and it's all done.  It looks so much better when it's done but damn, that part is a lot of work.  And I skipped the fence line and the trees down the driveway.  I just didn't have it in me in this heat. 

The mower is a Zen Machine.  
The weedeater is most definitely NOT Zen.


Took a break on the porch, 2nd Man was reading a cookbook in the living room and we heard thunder.  It started getting darker, cloudier and you could smell rain on the wind. We checked the radar and storms were coming.


We packed up, got in the car and by the time we got to the freeway, it was pouring.  Perfect timing.  FYI, I was driving, 2nd Man took the photo, ha.  

Hope you are having a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Well, you were very busy while the rain held off, 2.3/4 hours working outside in the heat doesn't give you much chill out time together for a break from the city.

    I think most Greek Salads are based on cucumber so you could check them out and find one that you might like.

    Happy harvesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that info on the salad. I'll have to check it out. And yeah, it was at least that much time, then watering (of course it rained after, ha) and then working the garden. It was a long hot day.

      Delete
  2. maybe it's a cucumber in sour cream salad. we love those! it is thundering and raining here right now. i don't think it dropped the temps one degree though. it was 100 here today. UNCLE!!! i give up. i hate summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hate summer too. We were 98 and a feels like of 107 or something. Ugh. Sour cream salad with cucumbers, I'll look that up too.

      Delete
  3. My German mamma always made cucumber salad. We seem to put vinegar in everything, lol. Thinly sliced cukes, finely minced onion, dash of dill weed, a little splash of apple cider vinegar and some milk (yep, milk....it will not curdle) and a teaspoon or to taste sugar. Chill and eat...well, now I have to go make some for myself. Your grass always looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yeah! Thank you for that. Sound delicious!

      Delete
  4. It is also insanely hot here today along with a pretty high dew point. It is a good day to have a/c though. I love the smell of approaching rain. Speaking of___I just heard thunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that smell wonderful? It's so distinctive and you know exactly what it is. I have seen "fresh rain" candle scent, it's not even close, ha. And yeah, we have one window unit at the farm that is out and it's just so hot out there. Need to work on that before next summer.

      Delete
  5. Perhaps while its so hot you should think of spraying all those edges and under the fence with weed killer so that you can just mow right up close for a while. Looks neat and halves the work. that's how we kept sane in Aussie heat on our acreage in Brisbane heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, thanks for the reminder. And I know that Aussie heat is intense (well at least from what I've read, ha). I guess you are in Winter now?

      Delete
  6. Ok kind sir; send some of that rain up this way. You shouldn't have all the fun Dance 'n in the rain. :}
    Sorry about the idiot who hit your mailboxes. Tell 2nd family to put up solid cement posts and that will surely fix the next person who hits the boxes.

    So many different recipes out there for cucumber salad. I usually do mine with just sliced cucumbers, onion, salt and pepper and topped off with vinegar; mix well.

    Mercy me, was it ever HOT at the park while doing our photo shoot but at least that part is done with anyway.

    You both take care and keep cool...………..as if that's possible. Triple digits all this coming week and into the next. Last I heard it was to get up to 104 deg. by Friday. :{ Come on Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you want to rid yourself of weedeating, eliminate the weeds. There are many ways. If you put down bricks, hard stuff, you can mow over the edge of it. I know that ornamental grasses are good to edge and you can mow up to them. I would try hard to avoid weed killers. If you put the proper curves, you can mow continuously and avoid the bother of mowing into a corner, backing up and making a second pass at a different angle. OR, you can learn to love weeds.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!