Wednesday, July 18, 2018

OVEN ROASTED STRAWBERRIES

Recently, I found some articles online about roasting fruit in the oven.  I thought it might be nice to try since 2nd Man was going to make a pound cake.

Last week we posted HERE about roasting the blueberries.  Since we were going for red, white and blue in the dessert, we decided to use strawberries for the red part of that.

Fresh strawberries
This is one pound of fresh strawberries. I washed them, removed the stems, and cut them in half (quartered some of the larger ones).

Strawberries on sheet pan
Next, I placed them on a sheet pan covered with foil and then parchment paper on top of that to protect the pan from the sticky syrup.

These are tossed with 4 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.  A great combination.  

Roasted strawberries
Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until they start to caramelize because of the sugar. Stir a few times during the process.  I stirred it around about three times I guess.

Roasted strawberry topping
Pour them into a container and make sure to get the syrup.  It's SO good!

Red white and blueberry pound cake dessert
This is what we used it for.  A homemade pound cake topped with the roasted blueberries, whipped cream and of course these wonderful roasted strawberries.


Between these two jars, there are almost two pounds of fruit cooked down to this.  This topping is so worth it and are great for anything you might want to put a fruit topping on.  Ice cream, waffles, pancakes, spread on toast, pound cake (or any cake really), just whoever you want the rich, roasted fruit taste.


12 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try this. I made pound cake last night from a new recipe from Food52. You make it in the food processor. It’s super duper easy and it has an incredible rise in the oven. I ate several, ok 3 1/2, pieces last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for that recipe (love Food52). Hey, you could have eaten 3 1/2 or just put two together and it was just a couple, with one a little larger, right?

      Delete
  2. That looks so delicious and what a wonderful treat to put on top of a nice Big Texas flag waffle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be fun!!! The Texas flag is so cool looking, if we do say so ourselves, ha

      Delete
  3. How large are those jars? There is nothing to compare with the jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 1/2 pint jars Linda
      http://twomenandalittlefarm.blogspot.com/2018/07/oven-roasted-blueberries.html

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention; in place of vanilla extract, almond extract is delicious, to give it just a different taste to the strawberries

      Delete
    3. Yep, I was going to pos the link. Thank you Colleen. 1/2 pint jars. So it does cook down for sure. Enjoy!!

      Delete
    4. We love almond extract, I bet that would be nice within the strawberries.

      Delete
  4. I bet peaches would be wonderful cooked that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh peaches would TOTALLY work on that. Hmm, peaches might be good with Colleen's suggestion of almond. Ooh and I bet plums would be yummy too!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!