Monday, April 29, 2024

ZEN MACHINE TIME WITH A PAUSE

It was a good, but interesting, day on the Zen Machine.

I got out there and first thing I did was start mowing...

It has been two weeks so it was ready to be mowed and with rain yesterday and a couple more days of rain chances, I needed to get as much done as possible.   You can see above it was getting a bit tall.  Yes, I cut it short, it's fine as I always do it like this, it helps between mows to keep it more manageable.

But I did encounter an issue.

I stopped about halfway through to take a break and then add fuel because the gauge showed it was at about a quarter of a tank.  I did that and hopped back on and it started right up but as soon as I turned on the mower blade deck (PTO), it died.  Just great.

I tried several times, same thing.  I drove it around and then would turn on the PTO and it still died.  So I got off in and left it in the shade to cool down and I did the edging around the fruit tree beds.  I got back on an hour later and same thing, it would die.

I got out my phone and checked some websites and they said to check the belts and see if the pulleys turned.  They didn't.  Something was wedged underneath.  I felt around and found the culprit: a clump of damp grass that had created a wedge between one blade and the edge of the deck.

Here it is!

Pulled it out a little at a time until I could wiggle the blade and then it moved just enough to let me pull this out.  2nd Man said "that little thing caused all that?"  Yep, it was just in the right spot and created a substantial wedge.

It was time to be back on the Zen Machine and after another 45 minutes or so, I finished.

Looking nice and neat...for another week anyway, ha.

I paused the mower app so it would not record extra time or mileage so this is about normal.

On the plus side, I had eyes on me the whole time...or maybe they were just grazing, ha.  But regardless, it was a great view and so relaxing.

Hope you all had a great weekend!  We had a very good meeting yesterday that is getting us closer to an announcement.  Stay tuned!


14 comments:

  1. That is one thing hubby has learned; that you do not mow when the grass is even slightly damp or totally wet cause it will cause blockage in and around the blades like it happened to you. It's always best to mow when the grass is completely dry.
    The blades just won't turn if there is blockage under the mower deck.
    Have a great day.
    Really cloudy and foggy here with standing water in places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a choice in that mow as I had to do it on the weekend and it didn't seem too wet,. I guess it was the dew from early morning that hadn't all evaporated, ha.

      Delete
  2. That is such a nice spot that you have. I hope you get to live there for many years. I would move there in a minute from here in CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment, we appreciate it. Coming soon, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Obviously I was delighted to read the final sentence (the one in italics, perhaps done especially for me!). Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Roderick, I was hoping you'd see that. Yes, there is an announcement coming, hang in there!! You'll be as happy as us. :-)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it feels like lawns are always needing a mow, good thing you figured out the problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? And I couldn't this weekend (as I reply to you today) and I know it's going to be crazy next weekend.

      Delete
  5. I was not sure what PTO was all about, but I was so stressed to hear you put your hand anywhere near the blade without disconnecting the spark plug. Maybe I am out of touch with lawnmower parts or lingo.

    In college, the guy down the street put his hand under the deck near the blade. He called a friend who took him to ER and went back to help. He put his hand under and near the blade. Someone came and took him to ER. Another neighbor wanted to help and put his hand near the blade. After he went to ER, someone came and disconnected the spark plug so no one else was mutilated. That is why your actions stressed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power Take Off is what it stands for, it's the method that engages the blades. Completely safe on these mowers anyway. The blades will not turn even if the engine is running until you turn on the PTO. But the engine itself won't start if you are not sitting the in the seat (there is a safety switch that shuts it off if you get off while it's running for that very safety reason). Also I suppose if you somehow fell off while mowing (maybe a steep incline?) the mower instantly shuts off. There is also a built in kill switch that disables the power system when you turn it off. So it's kind of a triple whammy. No key, no power, no butt in seat no engine, no engine, no PTO. :-)

      Delete
  6. Something so small can cause such a problem. Glad it was easily remedied.
    Your yard always looks so beautiful after it’s mowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? 2nd Man said "that was IT?" yep, it was just in the right spot to stop the blade. Now I'll remember that as needed, ha.

      Delete
  7. May 1st.
    The Forgotten Tradition; May Basket Day.
    Anyone remember those Days?
    I remember; many years ago us kids would pop some popcorn added a little candy, like M&M's and put in small baggies on somewhat small containers of sort and go and take them to neighbors and would hang on their door knobs and also shared / exchanged with close friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall doing something around May Day when I was small as well. That's so cool but also sad so many neat traditions fall by the wayside.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!