Friday, September 25, 2020

FRIDAY WORD DEBATE

 On Friday in the past we have done a "Friday Food Debate" where we tackle some burning questions of the culinary world, ha. We have expanded it now to other fun and different regional uses of words in addition to food related words.

This week, the burning question is:



Ah, the most perfect of comfort foods.  The cheesy, meaty, ooey gooey goodness of a classic casserole..er wait, is that a hotdish?

We've always called this a casserole but in the North and midwest apparently hotdish is the way you describe it.  A creamy sauce holding together a starch, a protein and a vegetable.  According to some research, a hotdish almost always is made with a cream of soup as a base but it has evolved over the years as just another way of saying casserole.  

So what do you call these?
Casserole?  Hotdish?  Something else?


17 comments:

  1. Normally Casserole dish for me but when having a neighborhood potluck they where called, 'covered dish'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casserole dish; a kind of stew or side dish that is cooked slowly in an oven.

      Delete
  2. Casserole or covered dish,depending on if at home or a pot luck dinner at church

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born & raised in MI. We always called it a casserole but I have heard it called a covered dish many times. Never heard it called a hot dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casserole and, if taking it to a potluck meal, a casserole hot and/or covered dish! Take your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. casserole. I don't make these cause my mom & grandmom never did. they always look like ICK to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always been a casserole around here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up in Kansas and lived in Illinois for a while. We said casserole. I didn't hear hot dish until Garrison Keillor said it on A Prairie Home Companion.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hotdish in Minnesota. Although I've heard both used. My mom always called those type of one dish meals, hotdish. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot Dish from a former Minnesota gal.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!