Saturday, March 22, 2014

OFF TO THE FARM

Tire ruts in yard
Off to the farm today.  What is this in the picture above?

Well, the Zen Machine  (click link if new to the blog) has been in the shop getting it's annual tune up.  They have a special deal every season, free pick up and delivery, discounted parts, and they check it from top to bottom and do an oil change, plugs, etc, but I digress.

So anyway, they delivered it back to the farm two days ago.  We weren't there to receive it, but of course 2nd Family opened the gate so they could get in.  Then I get a frantic phone call the next day from the John Deere shop saying "um, our delivery driver got stuck in your yard and he made some large ruts in the grass".  Above photo, courtesy of 2nd Family, is the end result.  It was, unfortunately for them, the lowest point in the yard and was still wet and soft from last weekend's heavy rains.

I'm hoping to see it in person and figure out the best way to deal with it.  It's not like our yard is pristine and 'golf course like', so it's not that big of a deal to us, at least in the picture.  Seeing it in person however, might be different.  I'm guessing just take some soil, I think I can scrape some up from the raised bed delivery pile, fill the ruts in and then just let grass eventually take it over? 

Barring rain, I will be on the Zen Machine doing the first mow of Spring.
Can't wait!  I'm also going to tackle the fire ants, and the mildew on the house.

The most important thing today though is to mow, edge, and beat the rain.  If I don't do it this weekend and it rains, I might need a herd of goats sheep to finish the job!

Updates later!

14 comments:

  1. Um, goats don't eat grass. But sheep do! AS for the ruts, I'd just rake them in (while it's still moist), toss down some grass seed and let it fill itself in. We're still getting snow up here so not mud - yet. Good luck with the ants and mildew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you, noted and corrected. :-)

      Thanks, weather so far is overcast but no rain.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...I've heard that you can rent goats for brush removal. Wonder if you can rent sheep for grass mowing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I have heard of that too. If nothing else, i think it would fun to just experience once. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wait! Doesn't 2nd family have cattle? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no cattle. They have a horse, dogs, cats, chickens and two ducks, but that's it. They have talked about getting a couple of cows some day but haven't yet. Now there are cows all around the property on other plots of land.

      Delete
  4. if you just throw some soil and seed it will green right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking just dump in some soil and sprinkle grass seed. Today I mowed over it, maybe the weeds, er, grass, will naturally fill in a bit. I ran out of time today to get soil and seed but Spring just started, plenty of time to do that.

      Delete
  5. We fight over who gets to do the mowing on our little farm - usually I win!! No ipod, it is my thinking hard time. We also have some incredible ruts due to a truck getting stuck this winter. We just let it be and it takes care of itself, and we have something to talk about when people ask about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL no fighting here. 2nd Man is more than happy to let me have that. And I'm happy to have it. It's so realizing and fun isn't it? I listen to music often but I also do have quiet time sometimes too. It's a great time to think and plan and dream. It is very 'Zen-like'. :-)

      I like the idea of a story to tell about the ruts, ha. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  6. WOW. so jealous of your green. We're still gray brown grass wise here in Illinois but if I lay down on the ground I can see little bits of green peeking thru. Yeah , on your tire marks. throw some zinnia seeds on them and walk away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it is definitely green. The grass is green but the trees are slow to green up. Of course we did just dip down to the 30's last week (again) so maybe they are just confused.

      Delete
  7. 1st Man,

    We have truck ruts in the front of our place (in the grass) from 3 months ago and there still visible since racking them. It's going to take a while for them to no longer be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These, upon seeing them today, are deeper than I realized but it will fine, I'll just let nature take its course I suppose. It's in a more or less out of the way place.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!