Wednesday, March 8, 2017

BREAKFAST BISCUIT CASSEROLE RECIPE

Here's another thing 2nd Man made with what we had on hand...

1 lb sausage
8 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups cheddar cheese
8 Grand's biscuits
Seasonings to taste


It's not anything completely new, it's more just a "necessity is the mother of cooking inspiration" moment. He looked in the fridge to see what we had...


He browned one pound of breakfast sausage in a skillet...


Then he put 8 eggs, one can of evaporated milk, dried parsley, salt and pepper.  You could put any seasonings in at this point that you like (garlic powder, onion flakes, red pepper flakes for heat, etc)...


Whisk all until incorporated....


This is a can of Grand's Flaky Biscuits.  This was the 8 in a can size.  
He then cut each biscuit into 8 pieces...


Grease a baking dish...


Spread the biscuits around the bottom in a more or less even layer...


Cover with about 1/3 of the cheese...


Cover the top of that with the browned sausage..


Sprinkle on another 1/3 of the cheese...


Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the dish...


Add the rest of the cheese (the last 1/3) to the top of it all and pop it in a preheated 350 degree oven...


Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes, depending on your oven (you want to make sure the biscuits are fully cooked).  After removing the dish from the oven, let it sit out for about 10 minutes to let everything firm up 
(if you can wait that long of course).

Breakfast Biscuit Casserole
Then slice it up and enjoy!

It's a great base for anything else you want to put in it.  Throw in leftover veggies, mushrooms, peppers, etc, or add some bacon or ham.  You could even use different types of cheese.  

Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. NOW, I must find something substantial to eat and head out to the doctor's office an hour away. No time to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We hope the appointment went well.

      Delete
    2. I ended up rushing and scrambling three eggs and having a glass of milk with it. That lasted me until 3 pm. I had 9 xrays of neck and left shoulder. Nothing was broken in my fall. Now, I must have MRIs and return to him. My fall resulted in the need for braces as I knocked my teeth all crazy and loose. Who ever lands teeth first?

      Delete
    3. OH NO!!!!!!! So sorry about that, I guess I missed your post. Be careful and just rest, your body needs it. Sending good thoughts and healing energy your direction!!! Hugs from 1st and 2nd.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious and like you have a big cheese grater. Need different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is nice and makes for a wide variety. But in the interest of full disclosure, this was a package of Tillamook cheddar that was called (ironically enough) "farmhouse shred".

      Delete
  3. Wonderful :) I love egg dishes, especially with lots of cheese and some kind of meat! I'd probably use ham instead of sausage and add some Gruyere with tomatoes! Thanks for the idea! :) PS: I couldn't wait a full 10 minutes lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain!!! Welcome!! Yep, cheese makes everything good, ha. Oh and ham and Gruyere and tomatoes sound WONDERFUL>. I'll pass this along!!!

      Delete
  4. ugh. to believe that we have done away with dairy (except eggs and butter) and gluten...well jam's completely gluten-free for 2 months now...me, i can have the occasional sandwich or piece of toast...

    but what 2ndMan cooked up there can only be called "devil food" - baahahahahah!

    sending you both much love as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dairy? Good for you!! I think I'd die without it but I suppose if it was for my health, I'd adapt.

      Until then I'm going to eat the "devil food", hahahaha!!!!

      Love to you!

      Delete
  5. This looks sooo good! Great idea. 2nd Man needs to write a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks, I will pass that along!!! ;-)

      Delete
  6. I think some of the best meals are the ones you throw together with whatever is available. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they though? It also strips food down to it's most essential elements. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  7. Looking Good there Mr. 2nd Man. Makes for an easy breakfast dish.
    I make something very much like this only I use a muffin pan lining each muffin cup with a biscuit, covering bottom and up the sides and then adding the filling. Sorta like breakfast muffin cups with the biscuits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a smart idea. I like that. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Howdy, that looks delicious. First man might be interested in the King Arthur (flour) monthly baking challenge. I just started with this month's recipe -Herb Butterflake Loaf -and posted the link to the loaf recipe
    on my blog for the month of March baking challenge. I also made a cinnamon butter-flake
    loaf which be great for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I will look that up and show him your blog. Thanks for the info!! I don't even know what a butterflake loaf is but it sounds wonderful. Off to check it out!!!

      Delete
  9. I'm with those above, that food looks wonderful. 2nd Man is amazing. I could never just throw stuff together and come up with that. You're so lucky!! Veronica M -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for that. I will pass the kind words along (actually, he'll be reading them all shortly, ha). Thanks again and yep, I'm reply lucky...

      Delete
  10. 1st Man,

    I'm going to have to remember this recipe for future use.
    Looks really good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, it really is good and really couldn't be easier. The best part is it's so flexible. Thanks again!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!