One of the big projects for the weekend was to get the flowerbeds in front of the garden finally finished. These are the flowerbeds that I set up and put cardboard down last year but...
...this is what they looked like after not being able to get to them before Winter set in. The fruit trees took up time and then the garden and, well, they fell into a state of disrepair, as you can see above.
It took a good hour per bed but I got the soil all turned, the timbers back in place, the steel rebar put in to lock them in place, loaded them up with fresh soil, leveled it all out and they were ready...
...for flowers! For now, we have planted marigolds, Mexican heather, pincushion flowers, and salvia.
I had to do the same thing on the other side of the gate, here it is after getting the timbers all fixed and the soil added. I planted the same flowers in this one.
I put the marigolds next to the gate entrance so we'll see happy colors right there. Plus they can be rotated in and out with other annuals more easily.
We're going to have a knockout rose in the middle of each bed too. You can see it in the photo above. I didn't plant them this weekend because I need a bit more soil to put around them after I dig the holes (they are larger than the smaller flowers we bought). We didn't locate them at either end of the flowerbeds because I don't want thorns by the gate as I go in and out, and at the other end I will pass by on the mower and don't need them there either. So we figured one in the middle of each would be pretty.
You can see how much space we have with the two beds. I'm going to fill in some empty spots with lemongrass and rosemary, so that we'll have a bit more herbs at our disposal.
And as a bonus, I also fixed up this bed again. You may remember when we fixed it up last year. Alas, the freeze killed everything in there except a little piece of the lavender, which is coming back now (YAY!) and of course the large Texas Lilac (Vitex) next to the stairs. So I pulled timbers out, stacked them back together, straightened up the birdbath (still need to clean the inside), pruned the Vitex, and then planted some marigolds around the perimeter.
We also decided to stick in a couple of mint plants. Spearmint and Peppermint. Yes, we know they are invasive, but we're OK with this bed being taken over by mint. It will look pretty and lush, we'll still have the pops of color with the marigolds and as a nice bonus, fresh mint right by the stairs to the porch.
I also worked in the garden, more on that tomorrow!
TUESDAY MORNING UPDATE: Our building had sporadic Internet last night so I was unable to finish the post on the garden. I got the pictures loaded but then we only had intermittent connections. So I guess that update is coming Wednesday!
Thanks for the comments and the birthday wishes. Yep, yesterday was my birthday but I seem to post about it every year, thought I'd take a year off of doing that, ha. But thanks for the birthday wishes!
Check back tomorrow!