Monday, February 29, 2016

KITCHEN IS DONE

Another day another room down!  The kitchen is off the living room, off the dining room, and off the guest room...so everything sort of ends up in here since all roads lead through the kitchen, HA!


With a more spacious floor, it's a great place to sit stuff down and then just step around it.  Of course then one thing becomes two and that becomes three, etc.


But then once it's all picked up, it looks much more open.  That bench/cabinet opens up (the top lifts up) and it was full of junk stuff and I cleaned it out and put dishtowels inside (it's a heavy lid and no gaps so it's mouse proof)


Of course, kitchen counters are second only to tabletops for collecting junk stuff.  Above is before...


...and this is after.  We didn't realize it was so big, LOL!  Still need to work on the upper open cabinets.  When we had the house cleaned up and painted inside, we had them put these up, they are just simple 'boxes' hanging on the wall...I'd like to remove them and put up shelving like on the other side.  Speaking of, next up is the other side of the small kitchen...


Again, lots of stuff sitting around without a 'home.  Well, it does HAVE a home, it just hasn't found its way to it yet, ha.  This is a table we bought at Nadeau.  Believe it or not it there is a white marble top under there somewhere...


Oh, THERE it is!  And the stove is usable once again too!  I redid the stuff on the shelves, straightened them up, just to make it look neater and not be so junked up but we'll have to rearrange a few more times I'm sure. 

Farmhouse kitchen
For those curious, here is a view of most of the whole kitchen.  I took this standing in the entryway from the dining room looking back through the kitchen toward the living room entrance (behind that white curtain door on the left).  It's small but functional.  Not a lot of cabinets or drawers but we make do.  That yellow cabinet is what we use for the china, silverware, mixing bowls, drinking glasses, baskets, etc.  Right around the corner of the marble top table is the curtain door into the guest room and our "Julia wall".  There is another special area I'm almost finished with that's a surprise for 2nd Man.  

I'll show you that when it's ready.   :-)

All (and I use the term "all" very loosely) we have left is the dining room and mudroom/pantry room.  They are probably the worst because stuff I've been carrying out of the other rooms on its way to the barn or the mudroom shelving is stacked up there.  But I think I can get it all done with one or two more all day adventures.  

Hope your weekend was productive!
Happy LEAP DAY!



38 comments:

  1. Looks Grrrrrreat! Always nice to have things organized, up and out of the way and off the floor.
    You done a wonderful job in organizing with the space you have. Makes things look much bigger when items are put away where they should be.
    Even noticed how you have your knives put up. Such a great idea; except for those who have young children that is.
    You done a Wonderful job there 1st Man. Your for hire? I know a couple of daughters who could use some organization. :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, Colleen -- I was going to try and hire 1st Man for some organizational assistance; you beat me to it! LOL.

      Amazing progress and beautiful spaces. Eagerly awaiting your next progress reports. You must be very proud, and very tired.

      jaime

      Delete
    2. Thanks to you both Colleen and Jaime! It was just a matter of putting stuff up. I kind of am a great organizer, it probably drives 2nd Man crazy, he gets frustrated and thinks it won't work, I figure out how to make it work. Yeah the magnetic knife holder, I was going to post about that. We love it, found it at Ikea. But yeah, no kids around for something like that (or at least mount it up high). And thank you Jaime! More progress after this weekend. I'm hoping to get it finished this weekend but we'll see. It might take two more.

      Delete
    3. Pretty cool cow clock. Perfect for old farm house setting.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a difference! You definitely have a talent for organizing. I love the look of y'all's country kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's DEFINITELY a country kitchen, ha.

      Delete
  3. You are doing a great job!! I'm concerned you will not have enough room though once you bring the final items (later!) from the highrise apt.! I'm in the same kind of mix right now ... still packing up the two china cabinets, stuff we won't use from the kitchen these last two weeks, etc .. cause tomorrow is March and the middle of the month we move to the casita and the workers start with demolition here!!! Yikes!!! After several years planning I can't believe it's finally here .... and boxes stacked all over the living room ... either stuff from the kitchen, dining room breakfast room, bar area or the 1/2 bath or laundry ... all will be rejiggered in the renovation/remodel!!! Good luck to us all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we've talked about that. But we're still a few years away from that, and for now as a weekend place/vacation place, it's adequate enough. We're going to pare down some more and live a bit more simply (at least that's our 'someday' plan). Man, I don't envy you and the work you are going to be going through. Although I will be envious of the amazing end result I bet!

      Delete
  4. I love your kitchen. You are making crazy progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's moving along. Right about when I get finished, the outside will explode into green and I'll be spending the days mowing, ha. Oh yeah, and I have to get the garden going!

      Delete
  5. What amazing progress. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I do look at the pics and it makes me feel accomplished, if only temporarily, ha.

      Delete
  6. Do you have a picture of your Julia Child wall?

    Nice job, it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a link to it, that bold print that says "julia wall" is clickable and you can see the original post. But maybe I'll repost it just in case.

      Delete
  7. The kitchen is the Heart of the Home ... Give yourself a pat on the back.. Everything looks great!

    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It IS the heart isn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes it sure is ... I'm sure you have noticed whenever there is a gathering or a party...most everyone hangs out in the kitchen...especially if there is a island / bar with stools to sit on. I have a friend who used a soft plush loveseat in her informal dining room adjoined to her kitchen looking out into the back lawn, trees and gardens. It was / still is a place of beauty and comfort.

      Delete
  8. you have more counter space than I have; I'mma jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it is quite a bit (and vintage and stainless). Plus the marble table gives us a bit more. It's kind of shallow though but oh well. We'll take what we can get. :-)

      Delete
  9. Your kitchen is at least double the size of mine and MUCH more open; jealous here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks! It's laid out weird but it works I suppose. Thanks again!!

      Delete
  10. I like the box shelves, I'd keep them! It looks really nice. I absolutely love the hardwood floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a vote for them! It might be that they are so shallow it's hard to put anything on them. We'll see how it goes, it's a work in progress ha.

      Delete
    2. Oh! And the floor, thanks for that. Yep, they are original, and very rustic.

      Delete
  11. 1st Man,

    Your Farm House looks really nice inside. I love what you've done, and can't wait to see your surprise for 2nd Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's very "farm-y" we think (we hope!). Yep, working on an old pantry closet to turn it into something special. I hope I can get it finished by his birthday (mid march). Plus I have to have the house straightened up before he can come out and see it. ha .

      Delete
  12. So warm and inviting. You will have many happy times in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what a sweet comment, thank you for that!!! So far it's happy, we want that to continue for years to come.

      Delete
  13. can you come to my house? i'll cook for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I would work on anything you asked for some of your cooking!!! :-)

      Delete
  14. It might be a small kitchen to you but to us, here in the UK, it is probably large/medium sized as we have such small houses! Looking good though. Re the shelfs you want to put up instead of the box units, look for thicker wood/contiboard then it will be able to carry a decent load without bending in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about that! Interesting!! Yes, thanks for the reminder about the shelving. If we do that, I definitely need to think about weight load. Thank you!!

      Delete
  15. Everything looks great. I wish I had some of your organizing skills. I love that stainless sink countertop. I know granite is the in thing and I love it, but stainless is so easy to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks for that. We have never had stainless counters and this one is original and probably dates from the 50's. They are very forgiving (and easy to clean, ha!).

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!