Tuesday, February 16, 2016

BRINGING WATER TO THE OTHER HALF OF THE GARDEN


Here is a project I did a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't get pictures so this one is before we covered the the beds for Winter.  I didn't get pictures of it because I didn't have the camera OR the phone while I was doing it.  D'oh!  So this is sort of an 'after' picture of what I did.

A year and half ago (right about now actually!), I had to dig a loooooong trench from the house to the garden so we'd have water out there.  But the faucet only had four connections on it and that would only let me bring water to one half of the garden.  We needed to get it to the other half for any future growing opportunities. 

Water to the other half of the garden
So I bought another hose stand with the four bibs on it just like the one on the opposite side.  Since the hose goes from the house to that side of the garden, I used a Y-connection and attached another hose to it.  Then all I had to do was dig a trench directly across the garden and connect it to the new hose stand on the other side.

Now we have eight connections so the entire garden can have water. We figure if four connections allowed water to half the garden, four more will complete water to the other half so we can (eventually) use all the raised beds.


Next step, calculating how to best utilize the drip irrigation in each bed and their connections to the faucets.  


Spring planning is beginning!



13 comments:

  1. we are about to get spring weather here. i'm really not ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really ready either. I'm torn between in the house and outside the house, cool weather and hot weather coming in a couple of months. Lots to do! Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Nice solution! I am dreading/looking forward to spring. It is definitely a seasonal love hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to understand the love/hate yard and gardening relationship, ha.

      Delete
  3. If you have the opportunity to split things up on various timers, it will help keep water pressure up ... since your source is a garden hose (if I remember correctly) you probably won't have the pressure you would have if the supply was 1/2 " copper or similar ... just something to think about ... drip is a funny critter ... and personally I'd stay away from the emitters that you can screw to adjust pressure ... at least here, even though on "city" water, it's always got minerals in it that screw with the flow ... especially on low pressure drip ... Plus remember no matter which kind, periodically check to be sure each emitter is actually putting out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that!! Yep, hose is buried, it's a larger than normal diameter hose (I want to say 3/4") so we have some pretty forceful water coming out but we do need to have separate timers. Plus I'm not sure how many beds we'll do this Spring. We want an herb bed for sure of course but then maybe just a couple more for this Spring before it gets too hot. Might have more for late Summer/Fall. Thanks for the emitter tips.

      Delete
  4. I've planned out an expansion to my existing drip system and am anxious to get going on installing it once spring arrives. Last year, I added many new beds and I tell you, lugging a hose around everywhere was a huge pain and most of the garden ended up suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand. Had that happen a couple years ago (and we had less raised beds). Plus in the heat, dragging that stuff around is so depleting.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, I try to do what I can in the cool weather, cause when the heat/humidity hit, ain't nothing like THAT happening in the garden, ha.

      Delete
  6. Great planning and work! Spring will be here soon. It was such a beautiful day that I spent the day cleaning out all the backyard flowerbeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooner than we realize probably. Heck, did we even HAVE Winter? I think I missed it, ha. Great day to be outside. I might have to take a few vacation days to get some extra time in.

      Delete
  7. Great planning. A lot of work in meantime but easier in the long run when it comes to the watering.
    1st Man; you not know; Texas has only 2 Seasons; Summer & Winter. Usually they alternate days within the same week.
    Really freaking Hot, and Cold with random snowfall. :}

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!