Tuesday, September 25, 2018

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY


Citrus trees
The Good:
Part 1

I found the three citrus trees that we'll need to plant behind the house with the other fruit trees!  Yay!  I was so excited.  I was on the way to the farm, it wasn't raining so on a whim I stopped in a garden center that was having an "end of season" sale.  All plants/trees 75% off.  I figured what the heck, maybe they'll have the varieties we'll need for our area.  Sure enough, they had the ones we needed according to our local Ag department list.

So we have replacement lemon, lime and orange for the new location behind the house.  This will keep them close by so we can better protect them in the Winter (with electrical outlet, we can even put lights/timers on them to keep them warm).

They are pretty nice specimens, about 5 feet tall.  Best of all, $39.95 marked down to $10 each.  

Mowing on the Zen Machine
The Good:
Part 2

I was able to get everything mowed!  I went out there expecting rain but while it was raining in town, it was not raining (yet) at the farm.  So, pleasantly surprised, I grabbed my jumped on the zen machine and did my thing.  This is a shot from along one side of the property.

Storm clouds coming
The Bad:

Here's the bad. The weather turned.  I knew it was coming and sure enough, the wind started blowing, there was thunder in the distance and things started to deteriorate.  Remember the sepia tone beginning of The Wizard of Oz?  It was kind of like that.  I knew I had to batten down the hatches and get on the road or I'd be stuck there.  Mind you this was after "the ugly" (below) and so I was ready.  I got in the Jeep and headed back into town, driving through a monsoon rainstorm and lightning streaking across the sky.  Any other time it might be fun to watch.

Wasps
The Ugly:

Yes, this is a wasp story.  Definitely bad.  I hate them.  Click HERE to read the details I posted Sunday.  Long story short, I was trimming a plant and there was a wasp nest that I didn't see and I got stung four times.  I'm better today, thank you for all the suggestions.  I thought about the fact that I had stings and for some people that can be dangerous.  Since I was by myself, I kept my phone with me just in case something started to feel different.  Thankfully, 2nd Family is always only a minute away.

I was going to catch up on comments yesterday but didn't get on the computer much.  I will start tonight. We hope you all had a great weekend, with lots of good and no bad or ugly, ha. 

12 comments:

  1. I have found wasps nest in my roses before...…….Not a good thing that's for sure.
    Them wasps will build anywhere they darn well please.
    Hubby had to chalk around our outside light fixture by the back door cause they where getting in behind the light mounting itself so he took care of that real quick like. I knew there had to be a nest close by cause they where flying around the back door, then I sat and watched and sure enough I seen a wasp go behind the light mounting. I always have a couple cans of wasp spray handy just in case.
    We had just a light shower yesterday but more rain in the forecast for the remainder of the week the way it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine just told me today to keep several cans around in easy to reach places. I never thought about them getting behind a light fixture. I'll have to watch for that. Rain in our forecast Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun. Sigh. At least I mowed! Ha!

      Delete
  2. Something you might look into. I've saved this because I periodically have to deal with wasps. https://survivalblog.com/guest-post-wasp-control-works-patrice-lewis/

    Next time I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this suggestion. We will have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. You got a good deal on your replacement citrus trees. And they look very healthy and a good size.
    That’s a very pretty shot from the lawnmower with all the green and the flowers along the edge.
    I wonder how much rain you got at the Farm out of those dark clouds. You timed your mowing perfectly.
    Eewww, just looking at those yellow jackets gives me the heebie-geebies and makes me want to back away. Hoping your stings are feeling a bit better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY healthy and yet, they are actually bigger I think than the last ones we had. I did like that shot of the mowed part. I figured it was a different angle than I usually post of just the front yard or driveway, ha. "J" said we ended up with about 1/2 inch of rain. Not too bad. We have rain the forecast last in the week and possibly this weekend. Tis the season, ha.

      And yes, definitely much better today.

      Delete
  4. the best kept secret is buying stuff on sale and planting it in the fall. the prices are great and it's perfect planting time. i can hardly look at those wasps! i would be such a hot mess if i got stung!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm going to take some cash and go back this weekend (weather permitting and see what I can find. Definitely a well kept secret. Be careful when you are working outside!!

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog through The Mistress. Love the idea of documenting living in the countryside! I have no idea (city boy here) but it sounds super interesting.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I carry an epi pen! Since you have a rural life part of the time, I would get Benadryl and keep it in my pocket on the farm. Not the whole box, just two pills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you got a great bargain on the trees....and all the joys of the countryside !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!