Wednesday, November 7, 2018

FALL GARDEN UPDATE

Up late last night, I had to make a short post today as I was falling asleep while trying to put even this one together, ha.  So, like we do in the Spring, here is a veggie update of the Fall garden:


This past weekend, when I planted the garlic, I had to check the veggies we have growing nearby and they are doing great.  Above is the bed of collard greens.  They have perked up and are putting on small new leaves. We should have some nice harvests of collards in a few more weeks.  

We hear they get better tasting after really cold weather?  Anyone ever heard of that?


Here is the Napa cabbage.  Also growing nicely and we're even starting to see some development in the center, where of course it will all come together and become the cabbage head.  When we grew these a couple of seasons ago, they were the most beautiful, store quality, heads of Napa cabbage, we'd ever seen. We are hoping for that again this year.

4 comments:

  1. "A Touch of Frost
    Collard greens are the most cold resistant of any plant in the cold-hardy Brassica family. Temperatures between 26 and 31 degrees Fahrenheit might burn the foliage of collard cousins broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica), cabbage, cauliflower (Brassica oleracea var. botrytis) and mustard (Brassica juncea), but collards can take the cold down to 5 F. More than survive cold weather, collards come through the cold even more flavorful. Cold converts the starches in the leaves to sugar for a sweeter taste and changes the structure of some proteins, lending the plant a better flavor." https://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-collard-green-plants-frost-73713.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love collards and envy your crop. I think they are sweeter after the frost, but can't vouch for any science behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look very healthy and growing well.
    Do you "steal" a few leaves at a time from some of your Napa cabbage without waiting for it to form a head? You might experiment with one plant and see if that extends your harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those photos warm my heart! Lovely! I have found collards to be very tasty after a frost. They are pretty hardy too, and should offer great winter eating in your part of the country. I wasn't familiar with Napa cabbage until the other day when I bought one to make my very first batch of kimchi. You've inspired me to give them a try too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!