Wednesday, July 13, 2016

AMISH MUSTARD EGGS RECIPE

Recently, Jaz over at OctoberFarm posted about making Amish Mustard Eggs.  We've never heard of them but they looked wonderful.  So I did some Googling and found lnfo about them.  Pickled eggs!  Who knew?

It couldn't be easier!


Ingredients for Amish Pickled Mustard Eggs
Boil eggs.  We boiled a dozen but ate a few so there were 9 left (and conveniently, our jar held all 9).  The rest of ingredients are spices and seasonings, yellow mustard, vinegar and sugar, and a sliced onion (optional).


Turmeric, salt, mustard seed, celery seed, and cloves.


Put into a saucepan with 2 cups of vinegar, 1/2 cup water, yellow mustard and sugar.  Heat to a boil and let simmer until sugar is dissolved, set aside to cool.


Put your eggs in a container that has a lid.  You aren't canning these, they just stay in your fridge while you eat them.  Here is when you can add the onions, sliced up or you can add sliced carrots, whatever veggie you think you'd like pickled along with the eggs.  


Pour the liquid over the eggs in the jar and put in the fridge.


Let it sit for at least 24 hours.  

We left ours for about 4 days.  Every day or so, I would gently turn the jar upside down a couple of times to allow all the ingredients to mix well.


Then we opened the jar...

Amish Mustard Eggs

...and sliced them up!  They are a beautiful color.  Bright yellow.  We spooned some of the pickling liquid over them to add flavor.  We loved them!  2nd Man said they tasted like eating a deviled egg, a little sweet, a little mustardy...only it's all in a hard boiled egg.  

These would definitely be stunning on a platter at a dinner party and a conversation starter for sure.  Try them, we hope you'll like them!

Ingredients:

2 cups white vinegar
3 Tbsp yellow mustard
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp mustard seed
6 whole cloves (not ground)
1 Tbsp celery seed
1/4 tsp turmeric (adds a unique flavor and lots of color)
Hard boiled eggs, peeled (this makes enough pickling liquid for a dozen)

Thanks OctoberFarm for introducing us to them!  They will be on regular rotation at the old homestead here! 

    18 comments:

    1. They look amazing. How long would a (spare as opposed to eat now) batch last in the fridge?

      Thanks for sharing the recipe - copied and pasted :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. YouTube video showing the process step by step.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMPrNvXJNm0
      If you don't want to add the Turmeric, you can add a couple drops of yellow food coloring in it's place; also can add roughly 1t. dried dill weed

      ReplyDelete
    3. Wow looks delish! Thanks

      ReplyDelete
    4. from spring through summer i almost always have a jar of these in the fridge. they are so good for a quick snack, sliced and served on toast and great on meat and cheese platters. and they are so easy to make! glad you guys like them!

      ReplyDelete
    5. When I was a kid, at Easter we would put food coloring into 3 or 4 jars of the mix and then made deviled eggs.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I have heard of pickled red beet eggs but not these. They do look good. I'll forward this to my daughter since she has chickens providing eggs.

      ReplyDelete
    7. When serving on a platter, do you slice them in half or present them whole? Even though I might not be able to consume them, I LOVE items I can make ahead and serve sort of as a filler. For example, I hate cantaloupe but serve them when I have company. I can fill up a table or a picnic table without having to slave over items at the last minute.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Yum.
      And no you have me craving pickled eggs. Just after six in the morning is the WRONG time to be craving anything. Drat you. And thank you.

      ReplyDelete
    9. teehee. i just left a comment for Leigh at 5 Acres and a Dream... she made creamy riccoto tomatoe aspic and i had to be honest and tell her it was not something i ever wanted to try - bahahahah! so i will be honest here and tell you that those pickled eggs do not look inviting at all. however, a 50 gallon jug of pickled eggs just sold at one of our auctions for $300 bucks. each to his own apparently. but ick - pickled eggs - bleck!

      no worries. i still love the both of you! bahhahah! your friend, sending love,
      kymber

      ReplyDelete
    10. Wow, this looks yummy!!!! I will try that. Thanks for posting!!!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I have a coworker that loves pickled eggs. I think this will be a wonderful casual Christmas present for him. Thanks!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. One little addition to give a different taste treat. Sprinkle with a little bit of Old Bay Seasoning before eating - YUM!

      ReplyDelete
    13. I make pickled eggs all the time. My family loves them. You can make such a variety of them!! Will be putting this recipe in my rotation. Thank you!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Just realized we missed commenting on all these replies. Since yours is new, I'll make sure to reply. Thank you for letting us know and yes, pickle eggs are wonderful. I make these for us several times a year.

        Delete
    14. Can I use Dijon mustard?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Good question, I'm not sure though. We have always used just regular mustard. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but not sure. Let us know if you try it that way.

        Delete
    15. I’m going to try this with my quail eggs! Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    16. Just made these for my third time. Love them!

      ReplyDelete

    Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

    Now, let us hear from you!