Wednesday, May 1, 2019

RUBY CHOCOLATE

On Easter, we continued our tradition of exchanging chocolates and this year, not to be outdone, 2nd Man got this for me:

Ruby cacao bar
It's a new type of chocolate.  Wait, what?

Yep, it's called "ruby chocolate".  It is made with an unfermented cocoa bean variety that has a pinkish hue caused by being unfermented.  There are no colors added and no additional flavorings.  The final process is of course a trade secret at this point as there is apparently only one company making it, Barry Callebaut, a Belgian Swiss cocoa company.  It was just released in 2018 and initially overseas but now popping up here in the states.

I was excited to open it and try it out.

Ruby chocolate
Yep, sure enough, look at it.  It's a deep pinkish color, quite stunning to see actually.

As for taste it's very good but definitely different.  It's super smooth, like you would expect a quality chocolate to be and if you didn't see the color, you'd definitely know that it is chocolate you are eating.  However, once the taste starts to come through, you notice it has a slightly tart note to it, not unlike a tart berry.  Indeed the descriptions describe a fresh berry fruitiness.  Now I don't mean tart in a bad way, it's very good, I shared with the office and everyone there liked it as well, it's just that you can tell it's different, in the same way white chocolate is different from milk chocolate and even milk chocolate is different from dark.  I told 2nd Man he should get some and try baking with it.  

Image courtesy of Wikicommons
Love this picture I found while researching it.  This is the first new chocolate variety in 80 years (white was the last new one).  So the world now has "milk", "dark", "white", and "ruby". 

Pretty cool!
Anyone else try this yet?

6 comments:

  1. Oh YUM.
    Hope they come out with it in chocolate; or in this case ruby chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good - and I will keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first I’ve heard of ruby chocolate. I’ll be on the lookout for it. That picture with the different colors of chocolate looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of it before but now I will be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a gorgeous colour. Not seen any here yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!