Monday, August 23, 2021

GOD IT WAS HOT AND SUCH A MESS

It was hot when I got to the farm...and I got there about 9:15 am!

I watered the few plants on the porch since it had been two weeks since their last drink, they were still pretty good but definitely happy to have water.

I went into the garden to pull some weeds and it was getting so hot so fast, I decided to tackle the yard...


The grass was tall, it looks nice and green and lush here, and it was, but it was also about halfway up to my knees.  That's a bit too tall.

I hopped on the Zen Machine...


It was a mess.  I tried mowing like normal with the blades at the highest level but it would bog down and stall.  We don't want that happening again so I mowed with the mowing deck lifted all the way up.


It doesn't make for a pretty mow, but it gets the job done for now in these dog days of Summer.


I still need to edge but again, no one around to complain to some Homeowners Association, LOL, so when it cools down, that will happen.


This mesquite branch is about to come down and I need to get up there and cut it down, but not until Fall, that will happen when the weather cools down.  For now I just mowed around it.  It's the end of August.  We don't care what it looks like at this point.


TWO HOURS later I was done.

As we look back at the stats from previous mows on the app, it's the longest one and the least coverage done.

I watered the fruit trees.  That area is a horror show of its own.  You almost can't see the raised beds, it's all grass.  I'll worry about that in cooler weather.

I went to the garden and started pulling weeds from a bed but after an hour or so, I think I got dehydrated because when I was taking a break, I started to feel a bit weird.  I decided to put the mower up since it had cooled down and was cleaning it off and started to feel a bit lightheaded and dizzy.


I checked the weather app, 99 degrees with a "feels like" of 110 degrees.

I decided enough was enough.  We've already said that August is the month of doing the least possible and I tried to do too much.  I'm hoping this coming weekend I can mow again and get it short enough that there won't be much more this season.  No rain in the forecast all week so hopefully no grass growing.


The garden did surprise us with these two final tomatoes.  We'll take it!

Oh and I still didn't fix the gate...

7 comments:

  1. you got a lot done in that heat! we are only a few degrees cooler and we have horrible humidity. i need fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to get a few tomatoes!! You could bale hay with that grass lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you are ok - that kind of heat is just too severe to be outside in. You did a lot of work! And your tomatoes look beautiful.
    Take care,
    Mary from too hot in Pennsylvania too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were smart to raise the blade as high as possible. You’re doing the best you can at this time of year. With this heat and humidity, it’s very dangerous to try to do too much. It's a good thing you stopped when you started feeling ill.
    Those two tomatoes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh you haven.t seen the latest forecast have you? Usually our grass is brown mid August so the rain is good on one hand but you gotta get out there early before the h&h climbs. I’m doing my daily walk in the park with the gals from 7-8am and still come home soaking wet. Take care out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear that you are feeling better When it's so hot out, it doesn't take long to get over heated. I fell ill from the heat not too long ago. Was no fun at all.
    A person can only do so much when it's so hot out. We do what we can when we can even if that means waiting for the temperatures to drop and not so high humidity.
    It does help wearing a damp towel around your neck or a cool-tie. (keep a cold one in the refrigerator)
    Smart of you setting your mower blade up as high as it will go. (just need a couple of goats to maintain your grass in keeping it shorter. ) :)

    Them tomatoes sure do look appetizing.

    Take care, Stay Cool & Stay Safe

    Have an enjoyable evening

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no fighting the heat unless you just stay under ac and spend as little time as possible outdoors. When gets out of hand, it does take a few mowings to get it under control. It seems like our August here in AL is not as hot as usual. Walk slow and stay in the shade.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!