Sunday, January 24, 2016

HELPING HAND GRAPEFRUIT JUICE, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Most every Sunday, we try to post an image of old posters that we find during online surfing.  We enjoy the ones that reflect farming, gardening and/or food preservation and rationing.  We enjoy them because we often wonder if anyone today would heed the kind of advice they gave back then...enjoy!

Grapefruit Juice, a Helping Hand in the Garden, image courtesy of NY Public Library
Here is an interesting one.  It's an ad from a magazine that became a poster in grocery stores.  We will have to admit, we never thought about grapefruit juice in this way...the poster states that a glass a day keeps fatigue away and it helps restore vitamin C.  It's also interesting they choose the garden setting to persuade its use (we won't get into the obvious sexist overtones, LOL). 

I'll admit, I've never been much of a grapefruit fan, and I more often associate grapefruit juice with weight loss potential.  But heck, if a cold glass after working on the raised beds or mowing for 4 hours helps, I might just try it out later this Spring and Summer.  Maybe it will help my 'wilted feeling', ha. 

Cold weekend for us, not much I can do outside, but I won't complain as about 1/3 of our country is covered in record snowfall.

Hope you are having a good weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Get a tall glass...fill it 1/3rd full of grapefruit juice, one 3rd full of Gingerale and then the rest with small ice cubes or crushed ice....garnish with fresh mint leaves. It is quite nice for a summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now doesn't that sound lovely!! Thanks for that. I'm going to come back here and make this when it gets hot in a few months. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Grapefruit juice is much better if you juice them yourself and the pink or red ones are much sweeter to me.

    Fiona's recipe sounds very refreshing. I have mixed juice with soda water for the fizz, but ginger ale would probably be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll have to make sure I try them juiced ourselves and Texas does have some ruby red sweet ones. Doesn't that recipe sound yummy? I can't wait to try it!!

      Delete
  3. I am allergic to grapefruit, but not oranges.

    24-28 inches of snow up here. I have pix up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my, I'm so glad I'm not allergic to anything, be careful I know that can be dangerous. 24 inches? Holy cow, off to see the pics!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Isn't it? I had no idea, will give it a try this summer!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy these old posters,, the graphics are beautiful and the messages are quite interesting, and heavens, anything to avoid that dreaded wilted feeling,, lol,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these old vintage posters! Love Texas Red Ruby Grapefruits too, they're the best. Think I'll try Fiona's grapefruit/ginger ale recipe..sounds refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Ruby Reds are ripe at this time of year - and they are sweet and delicious! I have a tree and a friend is also sharing - so good and so healthy.
    Love the images in that poster - looks like 1950.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!