Sunday, August 13, 2017

GUARD SPIDER SUNDAY

Saw this yesterday...after I had walked under it a couple of times.  

Avert your eyes if spiders freak you out.


This garden spider (we call them "banana spiders" or "golden orb spiders" down here) had woven a web between the two posts of the garden gate, way up near the top.  


Here is a closeup as I walked in...


And here is the backside as I turned around to get another photo from the other direction...

These don't scare me, as intimidating as they look, they are harmless and eat lots of bad bugs.  Now don't get me wrong, if one was ON ME, that would be  an entirely different story, ha.  

They seem to be in various places around the garden, and I'm OK with that.  I figured she was standing guard at the entrance to the garden and we're fine with her staying there doing what she does best. 

It's been hot this weekend, dangerously hot again.  Believe it or not, the farm had 5" of rain earlier this week.  It was all dried up though, the ground soaked it up like a sponge.  

More of an update tomorrow, off to run errands today...in the air conditioning!


16 comments:

  1. That's a serious spider. I seldom see spiders here in my Florida yard, or in the house, but sometimes I find cobwebs so I know they're sneaking around.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is serious but only looks scary. Actually pretty mild mannered, as spiders go, ha.

      Delete
  2. It's a good thing to have these. I have a few around here myself.
    What I don't like is when you can't see a spider web and I end up walking right into it. Yuck........not a good feeling.
    Been having light rain off and on this morning and into the afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a good thing, they eat lots of bugs. Oh, I have driven (on the mower) through webs and it freaks me out, ha

      Delete
  3. That is a very considerate spider to make her web so you don't wear the web.

    I ran into the web of one of these spiders near the clothes line and the web is very tough. It was all over me and in my hair and not easily removed. Then, another built a web across the back door...three nights in a row. I had to rip it down to get out of the back door. Finally she built it back over near the hinge side of the door and onto the corner wall.

    I imagine some of that 5 inches was evaporated by your extreme heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did make it up high it was neat, ha. And yes, I've gotten the web on me and it doesn't come off easily that's for sure.

      And yep, evaporation was probably a big part of whatever was left standing.

      Delete
  4. I like spiders...but mother nature can keep the black widows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart spider - she knows where the best bugs are, in the garden! And she is in the perfect place to guard your garden against bad bug intruders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And near the end of summer, you'll find 3 little silk bags nearby, about a quarter around and then she'll close her eyes,.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beauty! For some reason we haven't had any of them for a few years. Other spiders ,yes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have many last year but this year they are everywhere. Maybe it's cyclical?

      Delete
  8. The creepy part is that picture on my monitor is actually the real size!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!