Wednesday, July 31, 2019

HONEY ROASTED FIGS

This past weekend even though I didn't mow, I did manage to pull some more figs...

Fig casualty by bird
...and none too soon as the birds had scored one of them that was on the open top of the bush.  I guess the green one isn't ready for them yet, ha.  I still found a few more underneath. 

Figs
I brought them back into town...

Fresh figs
Rinsed them...

Figs with honey
...put them on a Silpat (silicone baking mat), cut them in half and drizzled them with honey...

Honey roasted figs
...and roasted them in a preheated 400 degree oven and baked them for about 20 minutes until tender and starting to caramelize (you can let them go longer if you like them more caramelized).  I sprinkled them with just a touch of flaky sea salt when I took them out.  

WOW.  Even 2nd Man (not the biggest "fig fan") tried one and said "this would be good over ice cream".

Of course we didn't have any ice cream.

So I ate them.  

All.



12 comments:

  1. Guess the bird or birds had a great taste treat.
    Not a fig fan but wonder how figs would be dipped in chocolate or backed in oven with strip or 1/2 strip of bacon wrapped around. After all; they say everything is better with bacon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not backed but Baked in the oven

      Delete
    2. I forgot you aren't a big fig person. Hmm, oven baked with bacon might be wonderful. The whole sweet salty thing. If I can get another batch this weekend, we might have to try that.

      Delete
  2. Those figs would never had made it to the oven. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full disclosure, a few didn't, ha! Aren't they wonderful?

      Delete
  3. Great idea for your figs, with or without ice cream! I have the same problem with birds getting to the figs before I can. Very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to try that bird netting as this "bush" gets bigger, ha. But hey, I guess we fight nature for everything don't we?

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Looks delicious! I love honey roasted anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious especially if you like figs.

      Delete
  5. I've never eaten a fig. You've made me curious!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!