Monday, November 30, 2020

TIME FOR A FREEZE

'Tis the season!


Our first freeze of the season is coming.  30-31 should not be any worry for the pipes and hopefully won't be too bad for the citrus (they are supposed to be hardy to mid 20's but they are young).

I needed to go cover them.


Of course, let's back up a bit for this nice long weekend.  Thursday was Thanksgiving of course and we were in town cooking and eating great food.  But then it started raining.  And it rained.  And rained all day Friday.  And rained all day Saturday.  We had about 3-5 inches of rain total.  Since it was spread over a few days, there was no flooding danger but of course it meant there would be no farm visit during the rain.

When I got there yesterday midmorning, this is what it looked like.  Overcast and cold.  49 degrees.  And windy.  VERY windy.


I wasn't going to need the Christmas lights on timers that I had purchased last year in preparation for a major freeze.  This isn't going to be that kind.  But this being 2020, my plan fell apart anyway, ha.  I struggled to get the freeze covers (these are the new large ones) on the trees in the high winds.  Now it won't always be windy so in the grand scheme of things no big deal.


But the poles with the tennis balls on top did NOT work in the high winds.  It let the freeze covers blow around and it even bent one of the steel rods because it was blowing around so much.  Had to scrap that plan.  

I think what we will need to utilize the original plan is to get more of the steel fenceposts (called T-posts) that I used for the deer fencing.  You can see there is one above that I had (an extra) and it worked well for being a good height and it did not move in the wind...it just didn't work having only one, ha.  It should keep the freeze cloths nice and tight and not blowing in the wind.


So for tonight's freeze, I had to improvise a bit.  I used the three galvanized rings as a means to keep the smaller freeze cloths in place.  I put one over and around each citrus tree.  Then I used the poles we already have as a means to shore up the freeze cloths.


I put the bags (these are the smaller ones) over each tree, tucked the fabric around the tree at the base and then used the weight of the galvanized ring to hold it all down.  Then I tied off parts to the poles just to keep it somewhat stable. I had to do a few more things at the farm before leaving and when I did, they were all still in place so all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

As I mentioned, these varieties of trees should hold up to a mild freeze like this.  For example, the lime is hardy to 26 degrees.  The satsuma is hardy to the teens but young trees like this are hardy to about 26.  We've done what we can do without being there so we'll see.


The other thing I had to do was cover the banana trees on the porch.  I did the same thing I did last year and it worked fine.  I saved this flat box in the barn and then just unfold it and sit it down over and around the bananas and the container they are in.  They are already protected being on the porch and out of the wind but at least this adds an extra layer of protection.  The top is open so they can breathe.  

That was it for this weekend.  It was a long weekend but not a long weekend of being able to do much outside.  Maybe it was nature's way of making us rest.

I'll catch up on your wonderful Thanksgiving comments tonight when I get home from work.  A couple of you asked about recipes too, those will be coming as well.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving or if you don't celebrate it where you are, hope you had a great weekend.  

6 comments:

  1. Citrus can stand 28 degree for quite a few hours. My kids turn on the sprinkler system at 32 and let ice freeze over the trees and that protects them from getting any colder, The same is done with the strawberry fields that are planted in Nov. After a freeze the berry fields look like ice crystals until the sun comes out. I don't understand it but it works here in Florida, you can look it up to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's hard to fight the wind. we might get our first snow tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covered up things yesterday also. I was out there for about two hours but I’m glad I did it yesterday instead of today because it’s quite chilly today.
    Instead of garden poles, I use rebars which are sturdier. I weight the covers down with broken pieces of concrete flower borders that I used to have around my flower beds.
    The cardboard box around your banana trees on the porch is good. In harder freezes, I think I would throw an old towel on top of it and secure it – the towel will hold in more heat but will still let the plants breathe.
    I’m so glad that we got that rain. I got 5 inches which was very much needed.
    Looking forward to your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why not use the t-posts and top them with small beach balls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wind looks like it is blowing hard! Well, the leaves are blowing. I know it will all work unless the wind picks up. The first four pictures on this post are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have everything pretty well under wraps.
    Cold rather breezy and di have a light rain late Sat. evening and into Sunday morning but really didn't get much but every bit of rain helps.
    I did move several of my container plants inside of the shed.
    Flannel sheets on the bed and also dug out our electric blanket. Feels nice and toasty crawling into be.
    Put up our tree (not no ordinary tree this year) and decorated. Good job done I must say.
    Take care, stay safe, stay healthy & stay warm

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!