Our fruit trees struggled this year in the heat (and my lack of nurturing, will do that this Fall with a plan). But a couple of them have surprised us.
The fig tree is covered in figs! They are all over in various states of growth but all pretty close to each other in size.
I counted them and stopped at a couple dozen. We're hoping they will continue doing well and we can maybe make something good with them. 2nd Man is not a big fan of figs but I bet I can find something to make that will get him to really like them.
And then check this out:
We have pomegranate! Only one but hey, we'll take it! Looking pretty good. But to make sure it stays like that, we pulled out these that we got a few years ago.
They are mesh fruit protection bags for fruit trees. I couldn't find the set that we got, but here is the link to Amazon where they have all sorts of different versions.
I put the bag over the lone pomegranate and tied it off. It will still breathe and still get water from rain, etc but the bag will protect it not only from birds (most important) but also from bugs. I see some fresh pomegranate seeds in our future!
Not sure when it will be fully ripe and also not sure about the figs but we'll be on fruit watch 2026, ha!

OMG ... ripe figs, right off the tree are so DELICIOUS! Hopefully, that 2nd guy👦will give one a try! Fig jam, fig cookies, ... Pinterest for fig recipes! Or, consult your raft of cook books for recipes!
ReplyDeleteI've never tried a pomegranate, so I can't rave about that one! All those seeds ... 🤦♀️
Figs and a pomegranate! That’s wonderful! That was a good idea to put the protection bag on the pomegranate.
ReplyDeleteThere are lots of recipes for figs – fig jam, fig cake, homemade fig newtons, balsamic or dijon fig sauce for pork or chicken, etc.
My fig tree had a first crop a couple of months ago and is now full of green figs for a second crop. I’m making fig jam and strawberry fig jam with mine.