Several of you have asked how the covers worked. I have posted bits here and there with weekend updates but thought I'd write a bit more.
|Plastic corrugated panels on raised bed|
We put the covers on, plastic panels and weighted them down with 2 to 4 bricks (we tried experimenting to see what worked), on the corners.
After one particular thunderstorm, here is the result. This bed that had one brick ON EACH CORNER and it still blew away. Not sure what our solution will be. I think because of the wavy nature of the panels, a path for the wind is created and the right gust just send them airborne.
We also had a few crack and break, I guess because they get brittle in the sun. Of course, being flung across they yard probably doesn't help. We will have to replace a few of them. I'm thinking of some sort of clip or bracket.
As for what they were intended to do, when they stayed on, they kept the weeds at a minimum or nonexistent entirely. The ones that have weeds are the ones where they came off during a storm and then the bed got rained on for a week before we could get out there to put them back on. The weeds love that kind of weather and neglect, ha.
Anyway, not a failure by any means, just need to figure out how to make them more durable. They've definitely made my Spring job much easier than it would have been.