Wednesday, June 21, 2023

HOW HOT IS IT

 It is hot.

SO. HOT.

Last Friday, I took off Friday so I could go the farm early and mow and edge and be done and get back into town where the a/c is.


When I left a little after noon, it was 97 degrees and it "felt like" 110.

Later in the day, it got up to a "feels like" of 119!  By then, I was back in town in the cool a/c.


I mowed (note the grass is getting the 'beige tones' familiar in a drought) and edged around the orchard beds.  I did what I had to and put the mower up.


Mowed for an hour (and 3 minutes, ha) and that was it. 

This week were are again under all sorts of warnings about the heat.  Check out these headlines:


Roads are buckling around town due to the heat.  Flat tires galore...


Water mains are breaking as the ground shifts...


Then yesterday afternoon, our phones went off as the state sent out warnings asking people to conserve electricity because the power grid across the state was in danger of collapse...


This weather pattern will stay through at least the end of the month: dangerously hot.

Usually August is when we say it is the month of doing as little as possible outside.
Now it looks like June.
And probably July.
And definitely August.

7 comments:

  1. We are getting those hot 🥵 temps up here in So.CO, too. It will stay like that for the next few days!
    Welcome to the First Official Day of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Not a good start to summer. what do you set your AC on at the apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really hate summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the TV weather report; looks like you have a storm heading your way and good chance of some rain.
    We didn't get much here; not even enough to get our walkway wet but was nice that the temperature had dropped some; had a nice cool breeze.
    Take care, stay safe and do keep cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you got some great lightning pics last night! It was wild! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been hot here in central Florida and the humidity has been high. We finally got some rain this week. We had less than 4 inches from Jan. through June 13th. Really got dry, I always feel bad for our farmers. My kids are farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the midst of this heat, my central air conditioner went down the last 2 days. Thankfully, both times I called, the repair man arrived within 10 minutes (probably because I’m a long time customer). And thankfully again, both times he had the parts to fix it. You just don’t know how grateful I was.
    The thunderstorm Wednesday night was severe. Lots of lightning and high winds. I know Houston got even higher winds - 97 mph at Hobby airport - yikes!
    But at least I got 3 inches of rain from it. Which the dry ground gulped down by morning.
    All y’all stay safe and cool. That high pressure dome is returning Monday to bump up the temps even higher.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!