Monday, June 26, 2023

KATHERINE HEPBURN'S BROWNIE RECIPE

This has been an internet classic for years.  The recipe was given to a columnist by Katherine Hepburn who said it was her favorite brownie recipe.  It's ours too!
 
Ingredients:

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts - optional
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

Heat your oven to 325 degrees.  Melt the butter in the microwave (or saucepan) and stir in the cocoa powder.  Allow it to cool a bit and pour into a bigger bowl.  Whisk in the eggs one at a time and stir in vanilla.

In another bowl, combine sugar, flour, nuts (if using) and salt.  Add to the butter-cocoa mixture and stir just until combined.  

Pour into a greased 8x8 square pan.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Do not overbake.  The brownies should be gooey.  Let cool and then cut into bars.


Now we did this batch a bit differently, note that the recipe as above is for an 8x8 pan.  2nd Man wanted to try a thinner brownie so he used our Lodge cast iron pan and since it's bigger, he doubled the recipe.


He baked it and they came out great.  After cooling, he used the parchment to lift them out and then sliced them into squares.


We always love the flavor and texture of this recipe and they were really good being baked a bit thinner.  Next time we'll do them back in the 8x8 pan.  We just wanted to have a bit more to last through the week of snacking and eating, ha.

Changes:

Some of the things we do differently:

We swap out different nuts from time to time (and sometimes don't even use them)...

We use salted butter instead of unsalted because it gives such a great taste to the chocolate...

We use use a special dark chocolate cocoa powder (made by Droste) that's why this batch is dark...


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. They look Delicious.
    With it being so hot I have laid off from not using my oven. I know I will baking a bath as soon as it cools down some. I just don't want to heat up the kitchen. Seems like our AC has been running non stop with these high temperatures. Hubby likes his brownies with a peanut butter and chocolate icing; sprinkled with a few mini chips on top or cut up reese's peanut butter cups on top. He does have a sweet tooth. I prefer mine just plain.
    Thanks 4 sharing the recipe.
    Have an enjoyable evening and stay cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about this just a few minutes ago.
      I have never done this, but was wondering if any of your readers have done this;.......... making brownies in a crock pot in place of using the oven.
      I'm sure that they will take longer to bake in a crock pot than the oven so a person would have to keep an eye on them.
      It's something that I may just have to check out and try.
      Have never used my Nesco cooker for baking. Use mostly for heating casseroles and reheating left-overs. I just may have to start using it for baking as well.

      I can't wait for the weather to cool down some for my trip to
      Puerto Back Y Arda. :-}

      Delete
  2. Well now, don't those look just scrumptious. Will save recipe for the fall. I wonder...can you make brownies in the microwave????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. I Love brownies! I will have to try this recipe. But, like Colleen, in the fall when it cools off. I rarely use my oven since our summers have gotten sooo hot.
    But I thought of something that will let me make a roast or a casserole, maybe even bake something. I have an 18 quart roaster that I use just during the holidays. It’s’ temperature ranges from just Keep Warm up to 450 degrees. And it won’t really heat up my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!