Monday, February 20, 2012

A LITTLE BLOG LOVE, LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN

OK, let's try this again!
1. Where is your favourite place in the world? Tell us why?

Other than our farm (even though it's not finished!), I would have to say it was a vacation spot we went to a few years ago; San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. If you've never heard of it, google it.  It's the most amazing place. It's in the mountains, it's an old town with cobblestone streets and hills and awesome old world European style buildings and gorgeous flowers and plants everywhere, beautiful weather and great food.  Oh and the friendliest people we've ever met.

2. What person has inspired you most?

I would have to say my Mom.  We lost her a few years ago, and I miss her terribly, but she was one of the kindest, nicest, most generous people you'd ever want to meet.  She welcomed 2nd Man into the family just as if he was her own and never thought twice about it.  She had some major back problems in her life, several surgeries, etc, but she never once complained, always had a smile on her face and never wanted anyone to feel sorry for her.  My friends say I'm a lot like her, and to me, that's some big shoes to fill but I'll gladly try my best.

3. Who would you like to with have over for dinner (famous or not, currently living or not)?

Betty White, The Clintons, Carl Sagan, Princess Diana, Dalai Lama, Martha Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and of course, my parents.

4. Where were you born?

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  Have lived all over, we were only there until I was about 5, but I have lived in in Rhode Island, California (twice), Arizona, North Carolina, finally here in Houston, TX, where I've been for more than 30 years.

5. City, coast or country?

110% without a doubt, country!

6. What is the best surprise you've ever had?

Two, both involving my birthdays.  A few years ago (back in the 90's!), my friend Laurie had a surprise party for me. I had no clue at all.  She brought together all my friends and had a huge three tier cake made for me with a dolphin theme (I have a thing for dolphins) and it was the one and only time I've had a surprise party and it was a blast.  The other was when 2nd Man bought me a MacBook Air, the first few months after they came out.  I had no clue, I never asked for it, my other laptop was OK but I had never even owned an Apple.  He saved up for months and months when he heard they were coming out, just so he could buy me one for my birthday.  I was stunned.  Of course, it may have backfired on him, now I will only buy Apple and have to have the newest thing they come out with..iPad, iPhone, iPods...etc LOL!

7. What is your favorite song and why?

Just one?  Dang...if I HAD to choose, it would be a tie between "The Rose", as performed by Bette Midler, and "At Last", by Etta James.  A close runner up would be "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers and "Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston.  No particular reason other than they are haunting and beautifully sung...what can I say, I'm a sap for love songs.

8. What are you most passionate about?

Becoming more self sufficient and trying to live as green as possible.  It's often hard being in the city, and that's one reason we bought this property.  We want to start from scratch and create a place that's self sufficient, and when we do things and purchase items, we buy as green and Earth friendly as we can.

9. What were you like as a 3 year old? (as far as you know)

Not much memory of it, but I'm told I was always outside, I was always digging or playing in the dirt, they could not keep my clothes on (no worries, I grew out of THAT phase, LOL), and I had an imaginary friend that I talked to constantly.  My Mom said she'd walk past my room and I would just be carrying on a conversation that was so real, she would have to stop and make sure no one was in the room with me.

10. Describe your most cherished photograph?

Just one?  Any with my parents in them are cherished but I remember one in particular, we were on a beach, I was about 8 yrs old, we had our dog, and it was just my parents and me.  I can close my eyes and see that picture now.  It was a happy time.

11. What have you done that you are the most proud of?

Back in the 90's, I volunteered, after work, with a group that provided counseling of a sort to end stage HIV patients.  I was kind of a candy striper (no uniform, ha), for lack of a better term, but the candy was just a means to get them to open up and talk.  Sometimes it was just listening to them tell me their life stories, other times it was more about them asking questions, and still other times it was just sitting there quietly and holding their hands.  Sadly, almost all eventually passed away but I feel honored that I was able to share their life in some small way, toward the end.  I kept a journal during that time, and I treasure that...it's almost as if they still live on, every time I read about them.  Unfortunately, HIPAA laws in hospitals have done away with that program (bureaucracy!), but I'm glad I was able to do it while I could. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

------------------------------------------------------------
SO, there you have it, a little more about me, your friendly blogger.
Thank you Bee Girl of Sky Minded and Ever Growing and Angela of High Desert Chronicles.  Thank you for thinking of me and thanks for the questions.
It's a fun project.

3 comments:

  1. I love my air. The 13 inch screen form factor with sshd makes it the perfect for those who spend their life on the road. You know, when lugging around albs of laptop is just too much. :)

    Hugh Jackman huh? Hmm, s'ppose it could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome computer and has served me well. In fact, I'm thinking later this year it might be time for a new one. Yep, Hugh Jackman....not just eye candy of course, but i've seen a few interviews with him and he's pretty fascinating. Not to mention he can sing and dance too, lol.

      Delete
  2. I just knew it...you are even more interesting than I first suspected. LOL Thank you so much for taking the time to answer those questions. Bee Girl got us good huh! They were excellent questions.

    I've enjoyed getting to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!