Tuesday, March 13, 2012

EDIBLE INVENTORY

A few days ago, I did an inventory of the fruit, nut, and berry trees/bushes we have accumulated in our city backyard, just to see what I'd be needing to do.

Lest you think we spent a veritable fortune on these, we did not.  I'm a frugal shopper whenever I can be.  I've had a few trees in large clay pots just growing in our backyard for the last few years, waiting for the day we could hopefully put them in the ground on our farm (see, we had a plan even back then, ha).  They do fine, but of course, they just stay fairly small since they are contained in the clay pots.  Then, early last Summer, I found a couple of trees on clearance and bought them.  They were 5 gallon pecan trees, $10 each.  Regular price was $45.  So naturally, I snatched them up.  Then as the drought went on and Summer kept bearing down on us, plant nurseries would put more things on clearance (so they didn't have to water) and I bought a few more things.  Then when Fall rolled around, those same nurseries put everything else on 'Final Winter clearance' at 80% off!!!  Most fruit trees/bushes were only $5-$7 each.  That's like a thrift store bargain, and since I don't pass those up, why even try to resist these?  I did my research ahead of time, going to the nurseries with a list of varieties best suited for our climate.  So I bought a few more.  And then a few more after that...
One thing I learned is that when you bring them home, a few at a time, and just put them in a back corner of the yard or along the fence, a couple here, three or four there, it's easy to forget what you have.  I just watered them as needed, then they went dormant for the Winter and I just didn't really pay much attention to what we had.  Now that Spring is upon us, I decided to do the inventory this last weekend and I had no idea we had so much!
Future Harvest?  We can only hope!
These are the trees/bushes we currently have that will, shortly, be moved to the farm and planted.  In no particular order:

Barbados Cherry (not a true cherry, just looks like one)
Pomegranate
Mandarin Orange
Peach
Pears (2 varieties)
Golden Apple
Plum
Figs (2 varieties)
Pecans (2 varieties)
Avocado
Olive
Muscadine grapevines (2 varieties)
Blackberry bushes (2 varieties)
Thornless Raspberry bushes (2 varieties)

That's a LOT of planting.  With twenty different plants, I see lots of this in my near future...
Digging a hole
But it's OK, if we can get them all in the ground around the house, and keep them watered, we'll eventually have quite the home production of food...I guess it will someday be a veritable "Food Forest'!

When we go out this weekend, we are going to roam around the house and decide where we should plant them.
I bought some of that orange landscapers paint.  You know, the kind they use to outline where flowerbeds will go, or underground lines are buried, etc.  It should help us see just exactly where everything will go.  A yard full of orange circles.

Of course, then come the decisions.  Do we want them all in a row like an orchard?  Or just planted randomly around the house?  We lean toward a random order as the better choice for us.  The property at the end where the house is has an odd shape and we have to be mindful of septic lines, leach fields, water well pipes, and all that fun stuff.  I realize we have acres we can use for planting, but for now, we don't want everything so far from the house.  That can come later on down the road.  Maybe some new and different fruit trees every year, further and further out.  I need to remember, ripples on a pond!
So stay tuned, I'll be planting them, weather permitting, this coming weekend and next.  Anyone wanna help?  LOL!  I tease, I know it will be fun and oh so rewarding.  I can't wait, I'm itching to get out, dig in the ground, and plant some stuff.  Of course, as always, pictures will accompany the process, if my hands aren't too muddy to hold the camera!

17 comments:

  1. I know the feeling about planting so many at once! We bought our home in fall of 2009 so first spring I was like a mad bunny hopping around planting everything because like you I went on 80% sale in November and stocked up on trees and bushes! And I got more this year to plant as I have new walnut trees, mulberry, persimon, fig and two more apple trees to plant. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad to know I'm not the only one. My friends, well some of them, thought I was crazy. "Just buy them in the Spring". Um, 80% off, hello?!?! I think I'll stop with these this season it will give me plenty to look after. But I'll be back next Fall when they all go down again.

      Delete
  2. I don't envy your digging but I speak from experience when I suggest putting the trees within hose distance from the house. It's a real bear hauling water buckets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, most of the area we'd put them in would be close enough I think (hmm, how long CAN a hose be? LOL) but that is a good reminder as we're walking around 'planning'. Didn't think about that. Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. We have a 300 ft hose. But they ain't cheap for a good one! We have had it probably 7 or 8 yrs.

      Delete
    3. I didn't know they had hoses that long. Of course, I suppose I could just hook three 100 foot hoses together (or 4 for that matter, ha). I need to see exactly how far it is to the farthest point from the house where I'd plant the trees. Of course, someday, with acres to work on, not sure what we'll do then.

      Delete
  3. Wow that's awesome! Look forward to the photos! I agree - not too far from water source! I wish I could grow pomegranate - have fun playing in dirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check your local nurseries next fall, I bet they have stuff on big clearance. It's the cheapest way to do it, ha. Not sure I can grow pomegranate either, but I'm going to give it a shot. This is called "Wonderful Pomegranate", it's supposed to do well most anywhere. I'll definitely have regular fruit updates during the year. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Hoo-ray! (haha secret pun!) That is awesome. All the different kinds of fruit and stuff. Not the back breaking labor to plant them. I shall cheer you on from afar. And I will gladly accept a lovely fruit basket if you feel so inclined. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) Cheer from afar, that's ok. A fruit basket. Well, I'll mark that on my calendar...for about 2015 when they start producing, ha.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a massage scheduled after all the planting is done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOooohhh...I am with Kelly--a massage would be great! Tell 2nd man you will plant everything but you want a massage!

      Delete
    2. Ha, that's a good idea! Do you know though that I have never had a masssage in my life? Kinda creeped out by strangers touching me, lol, but I suppose one of these days I'll have to try it.

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's quite a list you've got there! yes, lots of digging in your future, but it will all be worth it! How wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey! Yeah, it's alot huh? I had no idea. As I said, one or two here, another one there, another two or three a month later...and soon it adds up. Still, it was an awesome deal. I added up everything that I remember and I bet I spent $100 at most on all of them. Not a bad deal. Now if we can just get them to produce! LOL! Thanks for stopping by, I know you're busy!!

      Delete
  7. Hi, just found your blog through the easter egg dying post. How exciting to have so many trees!

    Think about energy usage when deciding whee to plant trees.
    "Deciduous trees planted on the south and west sides will help keep your house cool in the summer and allow sun to shine in the windows in the winter."
    from this document: www.energysavers.gov/pdfs/energy_savers.pdf

    Another possibilty is using some of the smaller ones as a border to a garden for wind protection. Just some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well first of all, WELCOME and thanks for commenting and stopping by! Those are some great ideas and that link has some good info. I didn't think about that but it makes perfect sense to me. I'll keep that in mind as we "walk around" the house this weekend. Thanks again!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!