Wednesday, February 13, 2019

RECYCLING PLASTIC AND WATER

A few photos to share of things I've noticed and things that we do and use. 


Our local grocery store chain has these right outside their main entrance.  Recycle bins for plastic bags.  We try to use paper bags or our own reusable bags for groceries when we can but there are times when we get plastic.  It's nice to see places like this for people to bring those ubiquitous plastic grocery bags (and other plastic bags).


In one of the suburbs on the outskirts of Houston, I was sitting in traffic one day and noticed that they are using reclaimed water to irrigate the public areas like esplanades, flower beds in parking lots, the grass along sidewalks etc.

Of course they do remind people not to drink the water that comes out of the sprinklers!


I found these at the grocery store a few months ago and we really like them.  They are scrubbers to replace our sponges in the sink when cleaning dishes.  They are made of agave fiber twine which of course is 100% natural and sustainable. We've been using them for about six months now and they work great!  If you keep them dry (up out of the sink) they last a long time and you can even pop them in the washer to freshen them up.  Best of all, they don't scratch when cleaning 2nd Man's prized pots and pans, ha.

It's nice to see things like this because it reminds us that contrary to what our politicians do (or don't do), there are always things we can do to play our part.

Every little bit helps!



7 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people live where there is a recycling center, but mine is an hour away. But Walmart puts in large boxes in their entry areas which most people think are only for the plastic bags. In reality they will let you put in any plastic that is recyclable. I save my juice & milk jugs, soap bottles, etc in a plastic trash bag and drop it off when it's full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to add another R. REFUSE. For instance I refuse straws and extra packaging.

    We have a recycling bin at home but the rules are complex. Our state, in Australia, has applied a ten cent levy on certain drinking bottles. Fortunately the refund station is near my quilt shop so that is easy Every little bit helps but is truly is easier to do without the excess packaging in the first instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was living in Toronto for a short term assignment; I was amazing when I saw they sell their milk in bags!!! What a great idea to reduce plastic though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the worst inventions was disposable drink bottles. When I was a kid those were returned washed, sterilized and reused. Talk about cutting down on plastics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have recycling pick-up but we do take All of our recyclables to the Target store to where they have bins inside for all your plastic bags, a bin for cans, glass & other plastic items like milk cartons, water bottles, etc and they also have a bin for all those printer ink cartridges as well as old cell phones so that is where we take all of our recyclable materials to.
    Can also take your printer ink cartridges to Best Buy.
    Don't know if At&t still does it, but that is where we would take our old cell phones to where they would go through and redo what needs to be done to them and they in turn would send them off for the men & women who are in the military that are stationed over seas for them to use.

    As for straws, I have my own metal as well as the colored, reusable plastic straws that I always use. I also use my own heavy duty cloth bags & insulated bags when getting groceries, etc. Very, very seldom do I bring home a plastic bag from the store.
    The more that we recycle is that much less that won't end up in the land fills.
    I have even stopped and picked up some great items that people have put curbside just so it wouldn't end up in the land fill; old fence boards, furniture items, etc. Using old fence boards are great for so many wonderful projects. Repurposing an old piece of furniture makes my heart go pitter patter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more of us that participate in reuse and recycling the better for the planet and future generations.
    Those scrubbers look great, I put mine through the dishwasher every few days, way hotter and germ killing than laundry cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe that our podunky town has a recycling center but I am happy to say that they do. So every few weeks, I take my recyclables there. Did you get your agave scrubber at HEB? I'll look for it next time I go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!