Monday, March 30, 2020

ULTIMATE SOCIAL DISTANCING

In this time of the pandemic, life has to go on somehow so Saturday I went to the farm.  I did stop at Home Depot on the way to get some bags of soil.  I'd rather have supported the local mom and pop garden center places but my two usual spots were closed due the pandemic.

I kept my social distance, I wore gloves and stayed in the garden center so I was outside.  Lots of customers with masks and gloves and everyone respecting everyone's space.  I loaded the soil in the car and headed on out.

11 acres in the country is the ultimate way to social distance, ha.  


This is sky when I got there.  Yikes!  I checked the radar and it was an approaching cold front which of course when they hit warm air we get storms.  I left everything in the car and jumped on the mower quickly as I could.


I was on the mower for about an hour and 45 minutes.  At one point it started raining and I said to myself that I'd just finish the driveway and then put the mower up.  By the time I was heading back down the driveway, the rain stopped.  I kept on going and finished all the usual mowing areas.


It was nice and neat when it was done.  I also edged around the barn and shed...


...and around the fruit tree raised beds.  I should have done that first so the mower would clean up the edged grass clippings but I was trying to beat the rain.  Still, they looked better so I was happy.


After I edged, I worked on the citrus trees and got fresh soil in their beds and hopefully they'll be blooming soon.


While I was mowing, I could smell the scent of the Huisache tree on the wind. It wasn't strong but it was enough for it to be recognizable.  Sure enough, here are a few early blooms. I know many ranchers consider it a nuisance tree but we don't have to deal with it growing everywhere. In fact we only have a few on the entire property. The blooms are stunning when full but only last a couple of weeks and the scent is amazing. I'll get some new pictures this year for those new to the blog.


The second plum tree is blooming so that's good.


I bought extra raised bed soil for this coming weekend.  The plan was to get the mowing done, the edging done and the fruit tree beds done so I can get a garden planted.  Who knows where things are headed and so a garden producing at least some food would be a good thing.  Now I just need the seedlings/plants.


When I was done for the day, it was time to get back into town before the curfew (not really a curfew per se but the police are cracking down on being out late in the afternoon/into the evening).  I backed up and then looked...oops, I forgot to move my car when I was mowing.  Oh well.  I'll be able to tell how much it has grown in a week, ha.  

And now on to week 2 of the quarantine.  

What a world...

6 comments:

  1. social distancing at the farm...lovely to see some spring blossoms though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we sure have crazy times now! i would love to do that mowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of my roses are beginning to bloom and the new trees that we had the nursery planted last year are all leafed out. :}
    Your yard always looks so nice especially after a fresh mowing.
    Even with the rain we had here Sat. we where able to get our yard mowed yesterday along with all the neighbors as well, so had a nice fresh smell of mowed grass in the air.
    Take care; stay safe & stay healthy.
    Enjoy your evening

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so glad that you were able to get out to the Farm and get the mowing and trees done. And just be able to be in the fresh air and sunshine.
    If you got rain at the Farm, you were fortunate. We didn’t get any and we need it so much.
    Safety and good health to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been working on the yard and garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty productive self-quarantine! I can't tell you how many times I've been thankful to have a few acres to be busy on during this time.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!