Friday, October 6, 2023

RANDOM WOODEN CHAIR TRASH TO TREASURE

Regular readers know that I have a favorite place to look for bargains...our downstairs trash area!  Our building has trash chutes on every floor and they feed into a separate room, but for boxes and other things that people can't put in the chute, there is an area (indoor) near the loading dock where people can put the things they don't want.  I've found quite a few cool items over the last few years.


Saw this chair by the recycling area.  I thought there might be something wrong with it (like a broken leg or spindle) but nope, other than the 'decorative' effect you might see above, it was fine and sturdy.


It looks like someone distressed it.  In fact, if you see in the first picture, it's kind of "half done".  It's like they painted it and then started scratching it up to give it an aged effect?  Maybe it was an art project?  Or maybe a home project they gave up on, ha!


Here it is when we took it to the farm.  You can see how two legs on one side aren't 'distressed' so I guess I'll have to complete that process, ha.  Not sure how it was done, maybe some rough grit sandpaper perhaps?

Hey, it never hurts to have an extra chair, might be nice to have it to move to the garden or orchard as needed, always good to sit down and take a break.  Or maybe we should put it alone in the foyer with a spotlight shining on it, ha.  



7 comments:

  1. I suggest you clean the chair up, remove the old paint, and then repaint with Rust-Oleum paint if it is to be outside!
    It actually looks like chairs I have seen on the Antiques Roadshow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can redo it or sit it on the porch as is and set a potted plant on it, or for Halloween have a skeleton or pumpkins or potted mum or whatever. Use as a decor piece for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once “rescued” a chair put at the curb on trash day. I stripped off the old paint and refinished it with an oak stain. It turned out beautifully.
    Re-finish your fab find with your favorite paint color or stain or treatment. And enjoy your freebie beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My only concern, after living in AZ, is wood joints dry out and get loose. I'd paint it up tight using some method you choose so wood joinery won't come loose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the distressing and paint it a nice bright color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another GREAT find....maybe wait a while....live with it then decide what to do. Looks like the used a paint scraper on it already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, such a pretty chair! Love the generous seat--looks very comfy. I would "distress" the other legs to match (looks like you'll want to sand in all directions, not just with the grain) and leave it rustic.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!