Friday, April 22, 2011

POTTING SHED MAKEOVER

Shed before
This is another one of the projects from this past weekend.  No, this isn't an outhouse, ha.  It's a former chicken coop that later became another storage shed of unused stuff.  I decided to clean it out and turn it into a potting shed.  I knew where I wanted it to "end up" but I didn't know how I would get there. 

Shed before
As you can see, it's a simple structure.  But it is very sturdy.  It's hard to see in this picture but it was just filled up with all sorts of stuff, most of which I either re purposed or got rid of.  I wanted to start with a blank slate, so I got it completely emptied out. Then I took a break for lunch to decide what to do. It's amazing how stepping away from a project can bring a fresh perspective when you come back  to it.  Seeing the shelves on the back wall of the mudroom that we didn't want, I decided to use them as a starting point.

First thing I did was move a shelf rack into the shed from the house (see below) and screwed it to the wall so it would be sturdy.  Then I added a couple more to the inside to expand my storage space. After I had the shelves in, I started gathering up the clay pots that were around the property, emptied them of their dirt (the freeze killed the plants in them), and put them on the shelves.  Great space now with lots of room for expansion as it "evolves" in time.

Potting shed interior after
Potting shed after
As I stood back and looked at it, I decided that the outside was kind of plain.  Laying in the trash pile were some old rusted tools and parts of tools.  I immediately thought those might look cool as decoration on the walls, so I got my handy box of screws and cordless drill and went to work.  I brought out two more shelves and attached them at counter height and made myself a simple workbench.

I found these two saws and the old gardening tools, and put them above the workbench.  I also added a smaller shelf, higher up, again re purposed from elsewhere in the house.  Just when I thought I was done, I saw a lonely looking rake, missing a few tines, and attached it to the wall next to the opening. It was a perfect fit for the spot.

Potting shed entrance

Potting shed decor closeup
And now I'm finished.  Something that at one point looked like it might be a lost cause, is new and fresh.  I will add features later on, a sealed container for potting soil, some more tools (that will be weatherproof), and maybe some more decorative features.  I'll also replace the small workbench counter with one solid piece of wood and add some legs to each end for addtional support.  For now though, I feel it's complete, and it's just one more project I can check off my list and move on to other things. Again, don't hesitate to look around your home and use something you already have, even something you might have called trash.  It's a great way to give something a new life that might otherwise be destined for a landfill.

Remember that famous phrase:
"one person's trash is another person's treasure..." 

Now go have fun!


10 comments:

  1. I really like what you did, it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One man's trash"....I dressed up our old (Arizona) shed with a wooden bench, then took a wrought iron hand railing and formed a back for it. It was a great spot for some flower or vegetable pots. In fact, I liked it so well I moved it up to the back of the mobile home where we could enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty good to me. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. I did this almost a year ago, after the closing. Now I'm ready to start working on it again. Thanks for kind words. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. That is a great pottery shed makeover. It is a simple yet an organised revamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by. Yes, this has tuned out to be a great little shed. It's definitely getting it's use.

      Delete
  5. hi there, i live in north east of scotland, and looking for ideas on how to transform a 8 x 6 garden shed into a little top of our farm road little shop of potted flowers i plant from seed and vegetables, got a few handy tips from this, any more lol? thanks again fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat that you got inspired based on something we did. Thank you for letting us know. I bet yours will be beautiful!!

      Delete
  6. i think this is great, ive been lookling for ideas on how to transform a shed into a little farm shop at the end of our farm road, this gave me hope and little handy hints and tips thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it posted twice but that's ok, twice the thanks!! I hope yours comes out nicely and you sell a lot of flowers!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!