Wednesday, May 17, 2017

MACERATED DEWBERRIES OVER ICE CREAM RECIPE


Here is something else we did with our dewberries we have growing at the farm.  Weekend before last, we managed to get one more small batch.  

Fresh Dewberries
I put them in a canning jar to bring them back into town.  It wasn't enough for a cobbler or to make some jam, so we did the next best thing.


All we did was add about half a cup of sugar to the berries in a bowl.  You could use any berry in this process, they will all break down with time.

Dewberries and Sugar
Stir it all around.  We mashed a few of the berries while stirring and let the natural process of breaking down kickstart the work.

Macerating Dewberries
Of course, this natural process is called maceration.  It usually involves adding a liquid but the sugar and semi mashed berries draw out natural liquid so it's pretty close to maceration.  No cooking, just let them sit for about 30 minutes or an hour, stirring occasionally.  As the sugar breaks down the berries, it all becomes a lovely sauce with a vibrant berry flavor.

Bluebell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Be sure to take the ice cream out of the fridge so it gets soft.  We used "Bluebell Homemade Vanilla" 
(it's a beloved Southern brand).

Dewberries over Ice Cream

All that was left to do was pour it over the vanilla ice cream and enjoy our bounty from the farm!  One of these days, we'll try our own homemade vanilla ice cream.  Might be a nice Summer treat.  


14 comments:

  1. You know; you're nothing but a Big tease. :}
    That looks so delicious. I so wanted a bowl of ice cream last night but had none :{
    Homemade ice cream is very easy to make but I do like it made the old fashion way; the crank type ice cream maker using ice and ice cream salt. Gre up making it that way and for me; it's still the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. teehee. i love that you macerated your berries naturally. we do the same when the wild blackberries and raspberries come in. oh and we love getting fresh snow and adding our frozen berries to it. it makes a sorbet/sherbet kind of thing. so tasty.

    glad you had such a nice treat for yourselves...it's important to treat yourselves. especially if it came from your own land!

    sending much love to the both of you! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never use a liquid. I mash the fruit with a potato masher, only squashing it two or three times, depending on the volume of berries. That liquid that comes out is the liquid I use. Then, I add sugar and stir and let it sit. Overnight is the goal, but that usually does not happen. Now, I want berries and ice cream. Bluebell is tops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum.
    Not really an ice cream fan, but I do love berries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must have been reading my mind!!! I love dewberries and it does make for a rather decadent ice cream topping in the spring and summer months. I have also added them to my homemade granola in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantabulous!!!! (Had to get creative since no single word expresses how good that looks)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! That looks absolutely delicious! I wish I could stick my spoon through the screen right now - mmm.
    When I was a kid, I would add sugar and then cream from our milk cow to a bowl of fresh-picked dewberries - but I didn’t have the patience to wait, just ate them up right then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are killing me with envy over all the delicious food post! Please...don't stop, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st Man,

    Yum berries....fresh berries of any kind makes for a great topping on vanilla ice cream.....Just looking at this post and pictures I've gained 10 pounds, 5 for each hip, damn you!!! ~HA~ Teasing, enjoy your berries and ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me think of a beloved children’s book I read to the kids when I taught kindergarten.
    Book: Jamberry by Bruce Degen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXbizWM2Xg
    Jamberry song for book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXv8c4W3sg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gentlemen nice to meet you, I am visiting from Sweet Tea N' Salty Air. Your ice cream looks divine. So that's the name of those berries, as a child we had a huge tree near the swing set and rabbit coop and we would snack on them as we played. I remember the tree was super big and there were thousands of them, wish I had them now, I would be doing your recipe! Enjoy Lisa @ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!