Thursday, July 6, 2017

SPLIT RAIL FENCE FEATURES, INSPIRATION THURSDAY

Every Thursday we like to post a picture of something we've found online that inspires us to do something similar at the farm.  
Sort of our own blog bulletin board so that we can eventually look back and someday, hopefully anyway, recreate it...enjoy!

Split rail corner, image via Pinterest.com
We are currently looking at ideas for planning some flowerbeds and planting areas in the front yard which is wide open space.  We've always liked a split rail fence, the look is what fits our property.  What we never thought of was that you don't have to have an actual whole fence.  You can just build one and use it as a background for a planting area.   The one above is a cool corner planting spot (we might like a few more flowering plants of course)...

Split rail fence feature, image via Pinterest.com
And this one just creates a long rectangular planting bed without looking like just a random flowerbed.  In a way, these make it look like something on purpose.  Of course, they do have to have some cohesiveness to the surround yard instead of a random series of fences but I think they could be used to break up areas and create "spaces".  

Be inspired!


18 comments:

  1. my dad made a fence like this to surround our property when i was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a classic old school look. I bet it was nice!

      Delete
  2. My parents have a corner fence like the first picture. It anchors their yard and provides a planting area that would just be planting in a bare space otherwise. I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anchors the yard, like that look. Every time we go out (or I go by myself) I stand in the front yard and imagine what we could do and where. It's a great blank space but lots of planning to get there, ha.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of those fences. In this area, those fences are on almost every property, but made from old wood, kind of looks like this: Weathered Rail Fences. They are pretty and rustic, which I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH! I love that picture. What a great look that is. Thanks for sharing and yep, we love the rustic look as well. It just seems more appropriate, ha.

      Delete
  4. Good idea! Very pretty way to define an area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now where to start so it looks "right", ha.

      Delete
  5. I used to live in SD and many of the fences there, especially in the Black Hills, were split rail, some 60-80 years old. We have tons of old wood here so I best get busy(er). Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I bet there are a bunch there. And you are so lucky to have all that wood. It's hard to find in these parts but I'm sure it's somewhere, I just need to be more "sleuth-y" ha.

      Delete
  6. Lovely inspiration pictures; easy to do and not all overwhelming with a whole lot of plants; clean and easy to care for and maintain.
    I really like the rustic, country look of the fence. I do have a corner fence with a red rose planted in the area.

    1st man; shed is finished....and doing the happy dance :}Well, do need to put trim work and door on yet but roof is done. No more wet floors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's what we like about it. Sort of a way to do it and not have all the work of keeping up the fence. A corner with some roses is nice idea. Thanks!!!

      Oh those pics you've sent us are incredible. You are so lucky. Y'all head on down here next....we have a barn/workshop....a gardening shed. I'm feeling the need for a "He-shed".

      Delete
    2. Yup; you Definitely need a 'he' shed to use for woodworking and to have that 'special' shed for your dads bench, tools, etc.

      Delete
    3. I'm going to show your comment to 2nd Man, ha!!!!

      Delete
  7. A loooong time ago we moved into a house with a split rail fence at the bottom of the front yard. It had climbing, or is it trailing, roses planted at each post. They were beautiful in the summer. The one problem was that the rose bushes should have been planted between the posts not at the posts. The bushes were always making the posts rot out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I bet that was so pretty. Great point though about the posts, don't plant AT the posts, just do it between and near, ha. Thanks!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!