Tuesday, July 25, 2017

WE HAVE TRAIL CAMERAS

WOO HOO!  

This is one of the things we've been wanting for the farm (well, maybe me more so than 2nd Man, ha). Several of you have trail cams and have posted pictures on your blogs.  We love seeing them and so that pushed it up on our "want list" even more.  

Well, the other day was AMAZON PRIME day.  They had all sorts of great deals, many of them would just appear for a few hours and then expire.  One of those deals was for trail cameras. 

Blazevideo Digital Trail Camera
I couldn't pass that deal up for sure...and here they are.  It was a deal where you could buy two for about the same price as one.  These are 16 megapixel, waterproof, and have night vision.

These are gone from being on sale but there are plenty of them still for sale.


Camouflage trail cam
They are camouflaged of course and they take still photos AND video.

I couldn't wait to get them put up!  


I put the first one on one of the porch posts.  


This is the view it will have so that it will cover the front yard and driveway.  


The second one I put on this tree near the mower shed.  Hmm, looks like the camouflage is not so camouflaged on THIS tree, ha.  


Ands here is the view that it will have.  I pointed it toward the back of the house to see what we could capture.  The time I saw a coyote, it was in the pasture behind our house.  Plus if anything is interested in the fruit tress, we'll see what it is.  

They utilize the SD memory cards so I bought four cards so we'll have two extra.  What we'll do is swap them out every weekend so we can bring the most recent one back into town and see what we captured by loading it into the computer and put the empty one in the trail cams for the next week.

In a way we hope we don't capture anything but in another way, I hope there are some animals on there so we can see what's creeping around while we are gone.  I wish they were live webcams but that will come later when we get WiFi at the farm.  

Until then, we'll see what we capture with these two cameras for now.  Anyone have any "trial and error" tips for using them?  Where they should or shouldn't be?  Up high/down low?

24 comments:

  1. You may capture more than animals. What if you capture a hot shirtless man walking by and resting a spell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You literally made me laugh out loud at work while reading comments on my phone. Yeah, if they do capture that, he'll be in trouble for trespassing, ha.

      Delete
  2. i bet you see critters before you see a hot shirtless man! well, unless one of you poses in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, second laugh out loud while at work. HA!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. If I'd noticed those on Prime Day, I'd have probably ended up with a couple of them. I could watch the feral cats napping in the backyard when Franklin and Penelope aren't there to chase them away.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to figure out the video part, it's set to record video but I'm not sure how it decides between pics and vid, ha. It would be fun to watch your own animals for sure.

      Delete
  4. Now that would be super cool to see and watch what all comes into your territory.
    Think how neat it will be to watch once you set up your bee houses again.
    Can't wait to see pictures of course. Hopefully you will get some great shots.
    Enjoy your day / evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH! I never thought about the beehives. Hmmm, might have to get another one. And of course one for the garden. And one for....ok, I'm getting ahead of myself, don't tell 2nd Man, ha.

      Delete
  5. I hadn't thought of doing that! Thanks for the idea. Like you, I have a small house at another location and good people who look after it. There is wi-fi, but cost for webcams is high, and my purpose is not security but rather to give me more visual access to a place I love.

    I'll be anxious to see you write about how the cameras work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, we don't have wi-fi out there yet so no cameras like that but I've heard those are pricey. And like you, I think (for now anyway) we are more interested in what might be roaming around out there for fun.

      Stay tuned!!

      Delete
  6. I hope you post any interesting visitors that you get on your blog for all of us to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like a web cam to capture how many raccoons just stop by to look at the chicken they can no longer reach. Plus, I would like to see if their food is drawing rats. I cannot wait to see what you capture on the cam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, can you imagine the looks on their faces, ha!! Ooh I never thought about rats. Hmm, ours might be up a bit high for that but hey, we'll figure it out by trial and error.

      Delete
  8. At least you could capture a shirtless horse! But a man would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!!!!!!!!! I'm having visions of that deodorant commercial.

      Delete
  9. My husband uses them all of the time. High or low, it doesn't really matter. You will love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! Thanks!!! I put them about 4 feet up, well the one on the porch is a big higher than that but we'll see. Every week I might move them around to experiment. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Now you have "Farmhouse TV"! It will be interesting to see what comes by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was live webcam, maybe someday but we'll see. Fingers crossed we capture something (at least something good and not bad, ha).

      Delete
  11. 1st Man,
    Congratulations on your camera's and the deal you received!!!!
    Make sure to set the date and time indicators if you have this function. It's always nice to see what time the critter's are coming around your place.

    My recommendation is to make sure you secure the camera's to the tree's, or posts with a little more than the band provided only because the wind will move them around. Or you may have an animal, like in our case a buck (male deer) was rubbing his antlers against the tree and pulled the camera down. He took it with him because the belt holding it got caught around his antlers. We found the camera several feet away from the tree where we installed it. We use long zip ties to secure the camera in two locations. We always have a stash of long zip ties handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! You were part of our inspiration, seeing your pics. I just couldn't wait to get them up. We'll see what we come up with. Wow, great advice too about the deer. Yikes! Glad it fell off before he ran off. I will have to remember that. Zip ties! Need some of those on the farm in general. Thank you!!!

      Delete
  12. I have about sixteen trail cameras, I think I am addicted! I have camera traps set up where one camera can watch the other. I caught some locals removing and later replacing my memory cards to see what I was getting on my cams. So now I have to lock cable them to the tree AND lock them closed. What a nuisance! It sure is fun checking the cards to see what you caught on there! I have even put a camera in my chicken coop to see what they do all night long! Pretty funny stuff! I can't wait to see what you get on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :} LOL. You are certainly one of a kind; having your very own Farm Shark and having it on dry land besides. :} Enjoy your Shark Week.
    บอลพรุ่งนี้

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!