Tuesday, July 11, 2017

TEXAS FIELD GUIDES SNAKES SPIDERS AND BUTTERFLIES

There are the latest acquisitions for our "reading pleasure" at the farm, ha. 


After our recent spate of spider sightings, including the black widow, we felt it was time to get a guide to the spiders that we share our farm with.  These are really cool, they are plastic laminated so they are water proof and they have pictures of each spider (or butterfly or snake) that inhabit SE Texas.  It shows the ones that are venomous and the good ones.  Spiders and snakes of course, no venomous butterflies, LOL!  There is also a section in the spider guide for scorpions, which we also have.

I found the spider guide at a grocery store the other day after the black widow sightings/killings in the garden.  They had a special at the store, buy one get one half price so I picked up the one on butterflies to counter the creepy crawly nature of the others.  


This is a photo from last year when I bought one of the same lineup of guides for "Snakes of SE Texas".  Same thing, they divide them up into good and bad with pictures of each one and even bite treatments. 

They have other "field guides" for our area, we might have to buy some more.  I think they have "tracks" (animal tracks), birds (we want that one but they were out), wildflowers (another one we want) and I think there is even one for fish (not sure we need that at this point, ha).  

What's that old NBC jingle?
"The More You Know..."  

Yeah, it helps for us to know more about just what we share our farm with. 

Coexist...except where deadly.  

11 comments:

  1. Good reading to have for the farm. Always a good idea to read up on the critters that you have at the farm.
    I think you should get them all that is available; even the fish one for you never know that just maybe someday you will decide to put in a small / large fish pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the name of the series or publisher or one ISBN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Spiders-Scorpions-Monthly/dp/0877192642

      https://www.google.com/search?q=TEXAS+FIELD+GUIDES+SNAKES+SPIDERS+AND+BUTTERFLIES&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXltDJ6YHVAhUC6IMKHWtBBMcQsAQIKQ&biw=1920&bih=963&dpr=1#imgrc=_&spf=1499796649603

      Delete
    2. Can YOU please give me information I can google? Those incredibly long links are impossible to copy and past. Or, the same links that are clickable. I can never use Colleen's links. Well, I won't. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Good luck. I would love the butterfly one - as an antidote. And butterflies might not be poisonous, but the catterpillars bring me up in some spectacular rashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love nature. I used to pinch brown recluse (Fiddleback) spiders with my fingers, but wouldn't do that with a black widow. I've picked up many a snake, but wouldn't pick up a scorpion. Smack - to both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always good to get to know your neighbors! Those are some good little guides to find out who's naughty and who's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you sleep with such reading material at night? lol! I have missed reading your blog...it's hell trying to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great guides, but I say run like he** if you see a snake....we live close to the everglades. Last week our neighbors down the way had a 71/2 ft. python in their yard. Will have to get a butterfly guide I have planted some plants that are butterfly attracters so it will be fun to see what we have visiting. Have fun at your farm! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!