Monday, February 25, 2019

SPRING IS COMING

Don't stop reading without seeing the bottom photo of this post.  Our patience finally paid off, ha. 


It was gray and overcast, on and off.  We went out Saturday and this was the day.  Of course Sunday was better but still cool and the ground was way too wet to try to mow or edge.  Sigh.


Of course, the fruit trees feel like Spring is coming.  Three of them are breaking out into blooms.   The citrus are still on the porch in their black containers.  They didn't let that stop them.  All three of them (lemon/lime/citrus) are in bloom.


The garlic is doing its thing in both beds.  Nice to see.  Hoping for a great harvest this season.


Collard greens are still producing.  After trying collards, kale, mustard greens, and even a mixture of all in one bed over the last few Fall seasons, we have found that collards do best.


We harvested another large batch of leaves. As we were driving back into town we decided that we will always include them as part of our Fall garden plans. They are, for us, foolproof and hardy.  They also give us a lot of great meals.  


But HERE is the exciting part!  We FINALLY got Napa cabbages!  They look like magazine worthy heads, ha.  We gave one to 2nd Family and they said "you grew these here?"  They didn't know they would work in our climate.  Need to eat them before they go bad.  We should have three more next weekend, we left them to grow a bit more.  Not sure why they took so long or if it was just our odd weather but we're glad.

Any uses you have experience with for this type of cabbage?  

22 comments:

  1. Don't know if Napa will work with this recipe for stuffed cabbage https://birdsbloomsbooksetc.blogspot.com/2016/01/stuffed-cabbage.html
    I think when daughters make Chinese dumplings they use Napa cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous - Napa cabbage is beautiful! I couldn't find any transplants last fall.
    https://saramoulton.com/2011/09/ants-in-a-tree/
    Very forgiving recipe. I use whole wheat linguine or capellini and if I can't find napa cabbage at BB I'll use broccoli slaw mix. I use lots more asian chile paste, I like spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found these at Home Depot of all places. Wow this looks wonderful too. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They did come out nicely. Not sure why it took so long but hey, we'll take it, ha.

      Delete
  4. WOW! I would had thought that the Napa Cabbage came from the grocery store. They are marvelous. Congratulations on growing such a beautiful crop of greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's what amazed me, they were big and huge and I pulled them out and peeled off all the outer leaves and they looked perfect underneath. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. wowzers! that cabbage is perfect!if you type napa cabbage into my search bar a lot of recipes will come up. i love napa and use it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden and fruit trees are doing so well. Congratulations on your beautiful Napa cabbage – it looks gorgeous! You are really going to enjoy some delicious meals with it.
    This is the time of the year where everyone gets antsy. We have some warm, sunny days that tease us into thinking it’s Spring, then Old Man Winter comes back to remind us that he’s still around. But Winter’s days are numbered and this weather is just a reminder to tell us to get everything ready because Spring will be here very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antsy, that's a good word. I'm definitely in that camp. Can't wait, then get foiled. Then start planning then foiled again. ha. But yeah, I think he's on his way out. At least in these parts, ha.

      Delete
  7. We eat it in soup but in Cambodia it was served stirfried with garlic and ginger and was a side dish to pork belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, stir fried sounds good! And I LOVE pork belly. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up.

      Delete
  8. Wow, your Napa cabbages look great. Here it is known as Chinese cabbage and used in all sorts of Asian recipes Try having a look here: http://www.tastespotting.com/search/Napa+cabbage/ - I find Tastespotting.com to be a really useful site, especially for American recipes!
    Michelle in Wellington, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a COOL website. Thanks for the link, I'm going to lose a few hours there, ha. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  9. Things in the garden look great! Of ll the greens you have tried, I love collards best. Plus I have a recipe for fantastic black eyed pea collard soup. Now I am hungry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I think we like collards the best too. And we have tried many. So hey, if they do well for us and we like them, it's a win/win, ha. 2nd Man doesn't like black eyed peas. I love them. Maybe I'll find a collard green soup recipe, ha.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Your garden/plants look great. I'm jealous. Nothing but seedlings here so far. I did, however, mow the back yard yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this is the end of our Fall garden which, due to our weirdly mild Winter, is still going strong. It will be time to pull it all up and start over for Spring here in the next couple of weeks. I'm jealous you got to mow, I SO need to do that but it's so wet here.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!