Monday, July 15, 2024

FARM UPDATE POST BERYL

 I went out there to check on things.  I didn't think I'd need to mow but even if I did, it was still a bit wet.  Turns out, I probably could have mowed but it didn't seem too bad and the heat was no bueno!


I arrived and there were shingles.  Quite a few.


Everywhere, ha!

I stopped counting at 23.  Not worried though since the house will be gone soon. The decking on the house has been on there for so long, it's hard and dry and like a solid sheet of iron underneath the shingles.  No water leaks inside anywhere.


They didn't come from the barn or shed, they are OK.


I did have pick up branches and stuff and cut a few others that were semi broken.  Thank goodness for Bill the farm truck!  It was great to throw them in the back end and then I drove to a distant part of the property and dumped them.  Will let nature decompose them.  Having this truck has been such a blessing.  We're happy to have it!

After a few hours, it was just so humid and the mosquitoes...oh my gosh I can't even describe.  You would take a step and a cloud would swarm up.

Didn't think about it, but when getting a mosquito bite on blood thinners and you slap them, um, yeah, I'll spare you those pictures, it looked like a crime scene!

With that, I decided it was time to pack up and head back into town.


On the way out, I was driving down the driveway and saw this adorable bunny nibbling on grass.  Cute!


When I got home, 2nd Man had made two loaves of whole wheat bread with grains.  We're good for a week of bread!

11 comments:

  1. That bread looks Fantastic; picture perfect.
    1st Man, get you can of insect spray. I use Repel which comes in green spray can and found in the sporting goods dept. at WalMart. ( Repel; Insect Repellent Sportsmen with 40 % Deet; MAX Formula)
    Works really well, but word of caution; Do Not spray yourself around any plants or in the yard. You will have brown patches in your yard and it will also do damage to your potted plants that you may still have on your porch. Other than that; it works well in keeping the mosquitoes at bay.
    Enjoy your day and have a very wonderful evening.
    Trucks Do come in very handy when in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is even handier on a property with acreage such as you have is a small tractor with a bucket and a gannon type scraper. A backhoe attachment is handy too. We have 4 acres and have a John Deere 1023e model. It is one of the smaller ones, but the bucket will lift 700 pounds, which is enough for what we do. Don't know how we would keep the place up without it. We also have a set of detachable forks that fit on the bucket, great for moving large fairly lightweight things like piles of limbs like you have in the back of your truck. With the forks, you only have to handle them once, and you can haul quite a pile at once. Worth thinking about, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you slice the bread all at once or as you need it? I had a thing you set the bread into and could slice between the tines to slice a whole loaf.

    I could not handle that many mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the damage wasn't too bad. Y'all had it so much worse than we did out west of you. I would have stripped those branches and cut the wood for my backyard fire pit. They are really nice in the late Autumn/Winter. Just sit out in the evening with a glass of wine and the firepit going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the damage wasn't too bad. Y'all had it so much worse than we did out west of you. I would have stripped those branches and cut the wood for my backyard fire pit. They are really nice in the late Autumn/Winter. Just sit out in the evening with a glass of wine and the firepit going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a relief to only have the damage you did end up with!
    Two beautiful loaves of bread! 🍞 I am in the process of making a single loaf 🍞, nothing fancy ... just plain white bread 🍞! Homemade is so much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to read the farm is ok and doesn't have a lot of damage

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sure is beautiful bread!! Also just wanted to say that it is nice every week to see Mr. Hobart enjoying his perfectly spoiled life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be so nice when the house is built and you don't have to make a trip to check on everything.
    Oh that bread is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those 2 loaves of bread are beautiful! And healthy. 2nd Man is so talented!
    I’m glad your damage wasn’t too bad and that Bill the Farm Truck came through just fine.
    Cute little Cottontail bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please use some kind of mosquito spray! I work downtown San Antonio in a historic building (no AC, windows open) and the mosquitos here carry West Nile Virus. I know that because I contracted it. Please take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!