Monday, October 30, 2017

CLEAN PORCH NEW PLANTINGS AND COOL WEATHER WEEKEND UPDATE

Oh this was such a great weekend.  The weather was just beautiful and perfect.  I was all over the place at the farm.  Plus I goofed off a bit on Sunday by relaxing in the cool weather.

My goals were varied. Garden. Porch. Flowerbeds. Barn. Shed. House. Plants. 

Yeah, I didn't get to all of it but I made some big dents.  First up, and most important, was the porch. 

Porch before
A large porch is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because, well, it's a large porch and so nice to sit and relax on.  But a curse because it also becomes a catch all for stuff.  For us it was a place for plants.  And pots.  And bags of soil and mulch. And stuff that needs to go to the shed/barn. It's just easier to have them protected on the porch when not in the ground yet.  Then it just becomes their home because it's too cold or too hot.  So before it got too cold again, I decided to sort through them and put them where they needed to be and throw out the ones that were not worth keeping.  

Snakeskin
First step was to pull them all off.  Now I probably don't have to tell you all that seeing this makes your heart skip a beat.  Yep, another snakeskin. At some point, there was a long snake, curled up amongst the plants and pots.  Mental note: Great reason NOT to have it on the porch!  You see the dirt and turned over pot?  Yep, that was me dropping it and screaming cursing running walking off the porch.

Porch after
After that initial scare, I worked hard and got it all cleaned off.  Plants were put elsewhere  some planted, some disposed of, others in a spot behind the house where they will be protected but off the porch.  We need a greenhouse at some point but that's still a ways off.  Still need to pressure wash the porch floor but hey, it all looks so much neater and clean.  Less clutter is more calming to the mind. 


And for the first time in a couple of years, we have access to BOTH sets of stairs! The funny thing is, I kept going around to the front stairs even after the side was cleared, old habits die hard I suppose, ha. 


Some of the clay pots, a set of four matching ones, were put in the garden flower beds. We figure one less thing to plant in the flowerbed next season since the pots take up some ground space.  These have the blueberry bushes in them currently, not sure if we'll leave them or put something else in.  


But we think they look good there.  One on each end of the flowerbeds on each side of the gate.  More plants and pots off the porch!

Olive trees in clay pots
Speaking of, there were a couple of Arbequina olive trees on the porch as well.  So I took two of the largest clay pots and moved them to the front of the barn/workshop.  I filled them with soil and planted the trees.  These olives are very drought tolerant and currently only get watered once a week so they should do well there.  Just in case though, I put the wine bottle watering spout in them.  

The goal next year is a flowerbed of sorts on each side of the barn doors.  Maybe just gravel and the clay pots since they will be small beds.


We didn't spend the night, the Astros are in the World Series after all and there is no TV out there.  Plus it was a bit cold (38 out there) and we still don't have a permanent heating solution.  So I went back Sunday and worked in the garden.  We scaled it back for the Fall since we are getting a late start this season. More on that in the next update. 

Spaghetti and meatballs
 2nd Man made spaghetti and meatballs for me when I got home.  Can't go wrong with pasta!  It's my most favorite thing to eat, in any form.  

Hope you had a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I left a pot sitting on the ground and the roots grew into the ground, Then, when it was picked up, the roots tore loose and also broke the pot.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Porch looks good with all the potted plants removed. Yes, needs a good power washing and maybe a good coating of stain to protect your boards more from the elements.
    I was going to suggest that you put your clay pots or any other pots up on a couple of cap blocks to keep them up off the ground soil.
    You may not had gotten everything done that you wanted to accomplish but you sure got a good start. Great job.
    That game last night took 5 1/2 hours and sure glad that the Astros pulled it out for the win. What a good game it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the porch!
    What a great come back last night for the Astros!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now keep things really cleaned up on our brick patio. I used to keep a bag of soiless potting mix that was open on the shelf of our potting bench. I heard of a gardener who grabbed a bag of mix that was open and it had a yellow jacket nest in it and he had multiple stings. Thus I keep things clean and the mix goes in a closed container with a lid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use to cut the bottoms off of very large decorative plastic pot to emphasis a plant and to add the element of dimension at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snakes make me scream and run! The porch looks nice.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, lots of work. Good job. Good food. And great game! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the porch. I'm glad the snake wasn't around :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your porch looks great now. That was a lot of work. I'm glad the snake was just a visitor and not a resident. It's good that you got it cleaned up before winter because that area might have been inviting to a mouse for his winter home.
    The pots in the beds by your garden and your barn make really nice accents.
    Mmm, spaghetti!
    Go 'Stros!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes -- a wonderful job on the porch! Perhaps place a few moth balls around the stored pots to keep the snakes away! I would be screaming and running too! Yes - gardens around the shed would be lovely -- will you be adding a ramp for moving heavy tools to the doorway too? Do watch for snakes around the bottom of the shed!! Looks like a wonderful baseball Season for the Astros!

    Cheers!
    Jan at Rosemary Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!