Friday, October 13, 2017

GLASS JUGS STORE FIND

Was at Target recently and found these. I just couldn't pass them up.  They were in the "Dollar Spot" section of the store and were normally $5 each (which is a deal in itself) but on this day they were on sale for $3.00 each.  Now THAT'S a deal.  

Clear drink local jugs
They are large (hard to tell the size but about 1/2 gallon each) heavy glass jugs with etching on them.  These are "DRINK LOCAL".  We thought that someday when we make our own beverages on the farm, be it fizzy or not, alcoholic or non, it would be fun to serve it from these.

Hmm, wait a second, water from the well, isn't that "drinking local"?  HA!

Amber glass beer jugs
Then these of course are amber colored jugs for "BEER". It might be hard to read but under BEER it says "BREW. ENJOY. EMPTY. REPEAT".  Not sure we'll make our own beer but it would be fun to serve beer from them on the table at the farm.  

I went back and bought one more of both so that we'd have three of each style. Somehow that seemed like the right number to have.

Home Distilling Handbook
Then the other day at lunch, I was at a bookstore and found this book. It's "The Home Distilling & Infusing Handbook".  Lots of recipes for infused liquors, cordials, blends, etc.  I think it's a sign to experiment sometime with drink making like this.  Now we have a place to keep/serve the end result, of our efforts, ha.  



14 comments:

  1. What nice glass jugs and couldn't pass up a bargain like that myself.
    The book, I know you will enjoy trying out many recipes from it. The ones you try; mark it so you know that you like or dislike it. I mark my recipes either with a star..(like )or just with a check mark chowing I made but didn't really care for it and know not to make it again.
    Enjoy your new found bargains and have a great day and enjoy your evening and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a bargain is a bargain. Never want to look back in a couple years and think 'dang I should have bought those'. I try to look at something 'unusual' and imagine using it for something creative at the farm in the future. We've wanted to make our own wines/cordials/etc at the farm so that's what I pictured using these for. When we make some in a few years, I'd hate to remember passing these up and just putting them in a plain old jar, ha.

      Delete
  2. I am going to Target this weekend and will be on the lookout for those jugs. I make kombucha each week and those would be an easier decanting size. Thanks for the heads up.
    Even if you don't brew your own, those would be great growlers for a local brewery purchase when party time comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in the dollar section, with the Halloween stuff. I've never made Kombucha in fact I've never even had it, not sure what it tastes like ha. Maybe I'll have to check into making some and we can "drink local"!

      Delete
  3. Those are great. My dad used to make wine. "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou" for you two.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, 2nd Man makes the bread I guess I need to make the wine, ha . Thank you for the sweet quote!!

      Delete
  4. I strained my eyes to read the words before I read further! I like those. You are correct--three is the right number. The price is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I figured it might be hard to read. Yeah, two each didn't seem right, seems like an odd number was needed and I wasn't going for FIVE each, ha. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi there!!! Don't you love Target? I could go every day, ha.

      Delete
  6. You got some great bargains! They will be perfect for making wine from your dewberries and, if you have any, mustang grapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewberry wine!! I'll have to google that, ha. No mustang grapes that I know of but we do have some muscadine vines that are still in containers waiting for me to build a grape area. I had to concentrate this year on the raised beds for the fruit trees and then the rings for the citrus trees and the flower beds (though I'm still working on more of those, ha) so next year I'll work on the grapes. Fingers crossed. :-)

      Delete
  7. If you keep buying this stuff you're going to need a bigger house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! We started with an empty house so we have plenty of room...for now, ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!