Monday, November 19, 2018

FIRST FREEZE UPDATE

Well it was our first (and one of the earliest on record) freeze of the season.

The house pipes were fine.  The lowest temp at the farm was 29 and pipes are usually good down to mid 20's before we need to worry.  Usually, in January or so, we drain the pipes and blow the water out until danger of hard freezing is over.  


The grass is officially dormant.  It hasn't even grown.  This is two weeks post mowing.

Pineapple
The pineapple survived, yay!  Good thing too, I forgot to cover them.  But they are on the porch, in the corner up against the wall so were probably shielded from the harshest blowing cold. 

Texas lilac in the freeze
This is the Texas Lilac (Vitex) next to the porch.  They all look like this but they are fine, they are hardy down to near zero.  Just going dormant now for Winter.  I'll prune them next year after the last frost and we'll get some beautiful new growth.

Citrus trees
Here are the citrus trees and they did fine as well.  The third one is just out of camera shot.  All three made it.  The first real hard freeze forecast though and I may bring them back into town to protect them until Spring when I can get them in the ground.

Raised beds
The grass is starting to turn the same color as the straw mulch on the fruit tree beds, ha.

Banana trees
These took it the hardest.  They are the two banana trees.  I never planted them because I was letting them get bigger before planting them and of course finding the right spot for them.  I didn't cover them and the blowing wind hurt the leaves.  The plants themselves seem fine so hopefully they will bounce back.  The "parents" these came off of (my coworker gave these to us last year from her parents' plants) freeze every year and come right back and still produce bananas.  Fingers crossed they make it!


Checked the forecast for the next 10 days and we're good for no freezing so nothing to worry about..yet.

__________________________

Today's Thanksgiving yucky foods mention...


What about this?  This was touted as a wonderful side dish to serve at Thanksgiving that would have all your guests raving.  Yeah, we think "raving" is probably not the right word.  

Ham and Hollandaise sauce covered bananas? 
Would you dare?


8 comments:

  1. I think you just created a new diet: eating (or trying to eat) just these Holiday Horrors! Or even just looking at the pictures! :)

    I’m glad that your plants on the porch made it through this early freeze. Most citrus (except for key limes) is ok down to about 26-28 - but that’s if it’s in the ground. Being in containers exposes their roots to the cold, making them more vulnerable. I think your idea of moving them to town where you can more easily protect them is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this one just blew our minds. YUCK.

      Yep, next big freeze, I'll bring 'em back into town. Then we'll get the planted next Spring and won't have to worry until this time or later NEXT year, ha.

      Delete
  2. How to ruin a banana is what that recipe should be called.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeeeeeeeeeeeew, gross! we could use some warm temps up here thursday/friday; we aren't going to get above 32F!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay warm! Maybe some bananas with hollandaise and ham will warm you up?? BWAHAHA!

      Delete
  4. No Thank you. I think I will pass on this dish.
    Think I will prepare my favorite way of eating bananas; chunk of bananas and chocolate fondue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure? ha.

      Oh my bananas were MADE to go with chocolate. Yum!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!