Friday, December 20, 2019

PECAN PRONUNCIATION FOOD DEBATE

It's time for the "Friday Food Debate" where we tackle some of the burning questions of the culinary world...LOL!

This week, the burning question is:



So this came up at my office yesterday.  I bought a pecan pie for an office luncheon.  That brought up the debate of how to pronounce the ubiquitous nut.  Setting aside one pronunciation that was "peck-un", LOL, we realized that some people say puh-kahn and others say pee-kan.

Here in our household, 2nd Man and I both use the  puh-kahn pronunciation.  I think it's a Southern thing from what I see online.  Or certainly regional across the country in different areas. 

So...how do you pronounce it?



18 comments:

  1. Originally from the North (Iowa) we normally pronounced it PEE-kahn or pa-KAHN pie; depending on which part of Iowa you where from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in PA, I say pee-kahn. Love your posts like this one.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another pee-kahn here. Just like MaMaw used to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm???...pee-kahn for singular, and puh-kahn for plural.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texan here with 175 years of roots in Texas soil. I say puh-kahn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. puh-kahn--I hear many people in Florida say pee-can. I correct them immediately. I'm quite strict on this issue.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, it's pee-kan in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is puhKAHN from the land of puhKAHNS. I, too, am quite strict on this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PuhKAHNS in Indiana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's puh-kahn. My mama used to say that a pee-can was what you had under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Mother pointed out that Grampa kept a pee-can under his bed, it could never be other than puh-kahn...

      Delete
  11. Don't think it's regional. Lifelong Michigander here, relatives from Philapelphia, PA; NJ and western PA, and we all say "puh-kahn".

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Growing up outside of Philadelphia, I say puh-kahn. I now live in New Haven, CT, and everybody is accurate saying it the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gonna throw a wrench in here because I say it, "Peh-cahn'. Not puh-cahn. Not pah-cahn. Peh-cahn.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!