Friday, November 17, 2017

HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT TIME

For regular blog readers going a few years back, you will recognize this process. 2nd Man reminded me a couple weeks ago that it was time to start some new vanilla extract since we are running low.  It's been over a year since we started our last batch.

First thing I had to do was get over the shock of the price of vanilla beans. Did you know there was a vanilla bean shortage last year?  2016 was the smallest supply of beans in decades and as a result, vanilla everywhere has skyrocketed.  

We still buy ours from the same place we always do.


Now we sometimes do the 5 beans if we're going to let it sit awhile.  This batch I just made had 7 beans. We've done as many as 10 before, which makes a really strong vanilla really quickly. When cheaper, 10 is good, when expensive, 5 or 7 will work too.  

Making homemade vanilla extract
Seven beans and a bottle of vodka...pour off some of the vodka into a glass since the beans will displace some of it... 

Vanilla beans for extract
I like to slice them in half lengthwise so that more of the bean is exposed to the alcohol, then just drop them into the bottle of vodka...  

Beginning vanilla extract
Add as much of the displaced vodka as will fit back in.  Think of it as more future extract, don't waste it.  Of course whatever doesn't fit, well that's up to you to dispose of by whatever means necessary. :-)

Keep it in a dark cabinet away from heat and light and every few days, gently turn the bottle a few times to get it mixed up.  About three months later it will be ready, though 2nd Man likes to wait a full six months to start using it. 

Making vanilla extract
Here it is after a few days.  Already going from clear to dark.  In the end, it turns a rich, deep brown color just like the extract you buy in the store. We have one of those gold permanent coffee filters that we use exclusively for this.  Just pour it through and you have beautiful, homemade vanilla extract!  Seeing as how a little bottle at the store is about $12, this is about $125 worth at that rate, ha.

22 comments:

  1. I hear ya about the price of the vanilla beans. Enough to give anyone heart failure.
    Have had a bottle of vodka on my pantry shelf for a couple years now but just haven't found a reasonable place to get the vanilla beans in bulk.
    Person almost needs to take out a loan to buy the beans.
    Where do you buy your vanilla beans?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading an article that said even bakeries are having to pass along the cost to consumers because it's so much more. I updated the post with the link, totally forgot that. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. 1ST. Man's original site on making and where he bought his vanilla beans.
    http://twomenandalittlefarm.blogspot.com/2011/11/homemade-vanilla-extract.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for posting this. Yep, original link and still where I buy them. Also update post with a direct clickable link. Thanks again~

      Delete
  3. Guess it's about time for all that holiday baking eh. Sure wish they'd hurry up and invent smell-o-vision for these blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, so true. I agree, so many blogs I visit I'd love some smell-o-vision, ha.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! We started our own liqueurs this year and I have big plans for extracts, bitters, tinctures and flavoured syrups in the future! (big ideas!):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. liqueurs, I want to try that too. Found a great book recently about that. Need to get on that this Winter. Flavored syrups sound wonderful too, we'll have to keep on eye on your blog. For now I drool over your cheese making!

      Delete
  5. I bought a bottle of Mango Rum a few years ago to use in a certain item. However, I never even opened it. When I found one vanilla bean for $12 in Publix and I had a little windfall, I bought it and put it in the Rum in a smaller bottle. I cut my vanilla bean up, too. It had been in the dark cabinet for almost six months, so it is time for me to bake something with it. It smells good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you will make something wonderful with that. Great idea!!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I'd ever get around to making it. I'd drink the vodka and fall asleep.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, looks like some more good things are going to be coming from the kitchen of 2nd Man and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see!! Actually as I type this he's got some blueberry muffins in the oven, the apartment smells wonderful.

      Delete
  8. Perfect timing on this post! I was just looking at vanilla extract at the store yesterday and lamenting the price. This is the perfect answer! Now all I have to do is source some vanilla beans ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, I forgot to include the link. I have edited the post now to the link where we buy them. 5 or 7 would be fine if you just let it steep a bit longer. The beans are pricey, when we first bought them, ten beans were $16. Crazy how high they are now, still though cheaper to make your own in the end. :-)

      Delete
  9. http://www.topvanilla.com/

    http://www.amadeusvanillabeans.com/store/organic/extraction_beans.php

    https://www.amazon.com/Vanilla-Bean/b?ie=UTF8&node=724725011

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ebay; http://www.ebay.com/bhp/vanilla-beans

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful, I might have to try that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and so rewarding (not to mention delicious!).

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!