Wednesday, January 31, 2018

SHEET PAN TACO DINNER RECIPE

I've been really getting us into "sheet pan dinners". They are trendy now but of course, we're late to the game as usual.  Hey, better late than never, right?  This one is a favorite.  Sheet pan tacos, without the shell (great for low carb diets)!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (90/10 works best)
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup taco seasoning 
salt pepper to taste
3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
2 cups chopped tomatoes/onions/jalapeƱos
(we used an already prepared pico de gallo mix from the grocery store produce section)
sour cream (to taste)
avocados (optional)

Ground beef, onions, taco seasoning mix
We started with 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef.  We used 90/10 so that there would not be a large amount of grease.  We mixed the meat with 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix (a gift of homemade), 1 cup of diced onion, salt and pepper to taste.

It's sort of like mixing a meatloaf.    


2 1/2 lbs is just enough to spread into an even layer on the bottom of a standard size baking sheet.   


Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  There will be shrinkage.  And fat.  We drain that off.  If you are careful you can angle the pan and pour it off without losing the meat but again, be careful!


Cover it with 2 cups shredded cheese, we used a cheddar blend and put it back in the oven.

Ground beef and cheese on a sheet pan
Bake for 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.  Remove from oven.

Tacos on a sheet pan
Then you just sprinkle on whatever taco toppings you want.  The standard makings of a taco are lettuce (shredded iceberg), chopped tomatoes, onions and jalapeƱos.  You can put avocados on but we forgot them here. We did remember the sour cream though.  

Sheet pan taco dinner
Slice them up and serve on a plate.  It's just like you are eating naked.  Naked tacos that is.  Not you yourself.  Unless you like that sort of thing. 

Enjoy, they are really delicious and super simple!



23 comments:

  1. Another good and easy sheet pan dinner: light kielbasa, potatoes, peppers and onions oh my. For some reason, I get the Wizard of Oz “Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!” Running through my head with this list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um yeah!!! Sounds great! And I'm with ya, lions tigers and bears oh my!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic idea, just in time for the Super Bowl! I am stealing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been experimenting with sheet pan dinners but never ever thought of this delight. We were going to have a meatball/curry/peanut slow cooker meal but this wins the menu award. Thanks!!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works out for you. It was sort of variation on something we saw on a. tv show. It sure is good!

      Delete
  4. I just started a keto diet, I am so doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to give up more sugars lately and this really fit the bill. And it's delicious!

      Delete
  5. In order not to dump things when draining grease from meat, I drain until I am afraid I will lose the whole thing. Then, it barely tilt it and use a paper napkin that probably entered the house sneakily and soak the paper to get rid of the rest of the grease. It might take a second napkin or paper towel to get it all. I have been known to leave something like that at a slight tilt, like on a knife and leave the napkin there to get all the grease. That sounds and looks delicious. And, it is lunch time here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way I do it too. I hold it with a paper towel as I tilt and I push it to the bring of falling out, ha. Then I just use paper towels to soak up the last bits. Great minds!!

      Delete
  6. MMMM! Melted cheese got my attention! I love the idea of the sheet pan dinners. Heck, trendy or not, they seem so easy to make! Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I hear ya!! Cheese? Yes! Melted? YES!! ha. That's what we like about sheet pan dinners, didn't even really know it was "a thing" but the more we read the better they sound. SO easy to clean up.

      Delete
  7. That looks so delicious and easy. And also easier to eat than a regular taco. I wonder if you wanted a little taco-like crunch that a sprinkle of tortilla chips before the lettuce and tomatoes might be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided I am going to serve it on a bed of tortilla chips

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly on having crushed chips on top like Fritos

      Delete
    3. GREAT idea!!! I like that TexasRose.

      She did come up with a. good addition Candace!

      Anne I like that idea. hope it all comes out perfect!

      Colleen, Fritos make me think of doing something different. I will have to work on that.

      Delete
  8. Sheet pan dinners? Never heard of them, so out of the loop. But that one looks great. Definitely will try it. As far as the naked parts goes...not on your life!
    I spill too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I hadn't either and we had done some sort of thing like these for years and then when I heard about it and read about it I realized "hey, we do that!" ha.

      Delete
  9. 1st Man,

    Sounds good.....I would even throw some green chiles in with the ground beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOH I like that idea. Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. ? I have several sheet pans, so when you say standard size; what size is your standard size used?
      Thank You

      Delete
  10. mexican meatloaf. loos good. and great for leftovers for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!