Wednesday, January 8, 2014

CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL

Homemade chunky chicken soup
After we lost our sweet Sydney Cat a couple of weeks ago, 2nd Man made a huge pot of homemade chicken soup so we didn't have to think about cooking for a few days.  It worked, because we ate on it all weekend.

He just makes it up as he goes along so there isn't much of an actual recipe, but here's what I know.  First, he uses a pressure cooker, a package of wings and some seasonings to make some amazing chicken broth.  Then he roasts some breasts in the oven.  Next, he just dices up and then cooks the veggies, in this case carrots, red, white and blue (purple) potatoes, onions, celery, garlic and white beets, in the broth with added water.  We like it chunky as it seems more rustic.  After that, he just adds some herbs and seasonings and finally the roasted breast meat, torn into chunks with some fresh parsley sprinkled into each bowl when it's dished out for serving.

It's chunky and flavorful and oh so satisfying.

I guess it's true, it really is chicken soup for the soul huh?


10 comments:

  1. That's a great idea with the wings...I always see them on sale and never think about it. lol Please tell your sweetheart this old lady said thanks for the tip. That soup looks amazing. I made some white chili last night and we just finished a big pot of vegetable beef soup a couple of days ago, so I guess I can't make soup today, but I need to think of something wonderful for supper. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. 2nd Man said he put some onion, carrot and celery in with the wings, covered with water and pressure cooked until done. Then when it was done, he strained it all through a strainer, throwing away the mushed veggies, and even the meat from the wings. It had extracted it all into the broth and there wasn't much meat to mess with. Then he used that broth as the base for the soup with fresh vegetables as above, adding water to it to make a larger batch. Or something like that, ha.

      White chili sounds yummy!

      Delete
  2. That looks so delish!! 2nd man missed his calling as a chef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st Man, and 2nd Man,

    This soup looks amazing, I want some!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, I'll save you some next time. :-)

      Delete
  4. that wa such a kind and thoughtful thing to do, the soup would be just whats needed when sad and in need of comforting, I like the way he made it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....soup is very comforting isn't it? And I too like the chunky kind like he made, not only is it fresh and kind of rustic, but it's very satisfying.

      Delete
  5. That soup looks delicious. I have also been making chicken soup as I love soups in the wintertime. I include whatever there is in the ice box and/or whatever happens to be sprouting in the garden at this time of year. In Arizona, that is possible. Thanks for sharing. And enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't soups in winter awesome? Warms you on the inside and outside, ha. Year round food, nothing wrong with that. Thanks!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!