Tuesday, January 21, 2014

GARDEN AREA PROGRESS PART TWO

Raised bed garden area
So when I got to the farm, this was what I had remaining.  It looks harder than it really was.  I was thinking about what to do first, build the rest of the raised beds (eight more 4'x4' squares) and then put the weed cloth down or do it the other way, put the cloth down first and then put the beds on top of it. 

Putting down the weed block fabric
 It really made more sense (and was WAY easier) to just put the fabric down on all the rest of the empty space.  I put down the newspaper and cardboard that I had left (ran out but oh well) and then rolled out the weed block fabric.  Thankfully it wasn't as windy as the weekend before so it was not too bad.  I would roll it out a few feet at a time and then use the lawn staples to hold it down and then go a few feet more.  It took about three hours but I got it done.

Update:  Some of you have asked about the lawn staples.
Here is a LINK TO AMAZON that might help guide you to finding them.

Raised bed garden with weed block cloth
As you can see above, I finished it, on both sides front to back and around the existing beds.  Then I decided to leave a path down the middle, from the front gate to the back gate.  This will make it easier to build the rest of the beds (better to build them as close to where they will end up as possible) so that later on it will be easier to wheelbarrow the mulch into the area and spread it around.  Then I'll put down the last roll of cloth and cover that as well.  I 'may' also do a path of some sort through part of that area, different from the mulch.  There will be an empty spot in the middle that I also have plans for (later on).

I'll post a drawing of the entire garden area plans this weekend.  I decided instead of doing it piecemeal, different parts at the same time (a habit I have due to the nature of my job and having to multitask constantly), I would just complete each step and then move on to the next one.

Step one - Get the weed block fabric down and ready 
Step two - Build the last raised beds and put into place on top of the fabric
Step three - Hook up the irrigation method for this seasons beds
Step four - Mulch delivery
Step five - Plant!


This weekend I hope to be able to complete step two, but there is a forecast of possible sleet and icy roads on Friday.  We'll just have to see how it goes.


28 comments:

  1. i can't wait to follow your progress on these beds! great start!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st Man - that garden area is going to be bursting with good fresh food and soon! you are doing a fantastic job and one that will pay off for years to come! good job, buddy!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears...and Mother Nature....and the Universe, and whatever else will help me grown, ha. The soil at the farm is so poor, I opted for the raised beds. Large initial investment in time and a bit of expense, but should last for a long time.

      Delete
  3. Must be nice to be able to work on the garden. Not possible here: SNOW! I think our biggest storm so far and bitter cold to come with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading and watching how bad it got your direction. Yikes. I hope y'all are ok and stay nice and warm. Great time to plan for Spring huh?

      Delete
  4. good on you to get such a head start!! you will VERY happy with the results come seeding time - weeds are a pain - and you have eliminated the hassle - woot!

    all my best to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Yes, hopefully the weeds are going to be gone, or I'd even take 'mostly' gone, ha. Thanks....now I just need you to build me one of those awesome reclaimed window greenhouses!! :-)

      Delete
  5. LOVE watching this garden come together! Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually been fun so far. Remind me of that in a few months, ha.

      Delete
  6. 1st Man,

    Say good by to the unwanted grass and weeds, and hello to a lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!!! I am hoping against hope!! Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  7. Great work. Have you thought that the worms will not be able to penetrate your weed mat and help with the soil in your raised beds ? We made this mistake a few years ago and the raised bed we did it on was never as good as the others. It meant going back and removing the weed mat, we've since had much better growth. I think without the worms the soil gets stale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought! Hmm, maybe I should cut some slices in the weed fabric? I do intend to put worms directly into the beds. Hmm, thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to need to study up on that. It hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. It just feels so good when progress is made doesn't it? Looking good so far!!! :) Hope you get a chance to work on it some this weekend to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you said that, when I first look at it blank, it's like "Oh my this is a lot of work" then when I'm done and look at it I feel so good that it's one step closer.

      Delete
  9. It looks great. Plan on keeping in my mental file for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good! This will be the year of good veg growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks!! If I could just get my yard looking as nice as yours!! ha.

      Delete
  11. We are planning to try something similar in an area where weeds and (some) poison ivy are growing. We've been collecting the cardboard but hadn't thought to have the weed cloth on top before adding mulch. Do you think it matters? Also, what are you using to pin down everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, I went back and reread what you wrote. You used lawn staples. What the heck are lawn staples?

      Delete
    2. Lawn staples....they are metal u-shaped metal pins that you use to push down into the ground. They also call them garden staples, lawn staples, etc. I updated the post to give an amazon link where you can see what they look like. They sell them on amazon of course, but they are also usually sold right next to the weed block fabric at the store. Hope that helps. :-)

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I'll have to see if I can find them in the garden center. Your comment about the wind made me realize that I might have a problem if I don' use the staples or just wait until a dead calm day....but all this is going to wait until it WARMS UP!!!

      Delete
  12. i love the brick and bucket technique you're using to hold places down. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that was because ran out of the lawn staples, ha. Hey it worked, lol.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!